Monday, December 22, 2014
1012 C Street  •  Floresville, TX 78114  •  Phone: 830-216-4519  •  Fax: 830-393-3219  • 

WCN Site Search


Lost & Found

Lost: Chocolate Lab, 1 year old, Hwy. 775 and Eagle Creek area, Floresville. We are desperate to find her, please help. Call 210-215-9132.
Found: Young black male Lab mix in the Cimarron Subdivision, Floresville. 210-237-8777.
Found: Great Pyrenees in La Vernia. Call or text to claim 830-581-8041.
More Lost & Found ads ›

Help Wanted

Kenedy area construction company seeking CDL driver, equipment operator, and mechanic's helper, will train. Call 830-299-9885.
Oil Field Lease Service field supervisors needed, must have knowledge of all areas of oil field maintenance, tank battery, compressor, etc.; hook-ups; must supervise crew and develop relationships with company men. Call 361-436-6909.
More Help Wanted ads ›

Featured Videos





Video Vault ›

Wilson County History


Remembering Echevarria Spanish School


Remembering Echevarria Spanish School
Students of the Echevarria Spanish School in Stockdale gather with their teacher, Julian Echevarria (in doorway). Names of all the students are unknown, but include (back, from left) Francisco Yanis, Lalo Vasques, Leonel Rodriguez (fifth), Raul Rodriguez (seventh), Esteban Contreras (far right), and (front) two Yanis sisters from Nixon, Mariana Olvera (eighth from left), Eloisa Echarria, and Magge Jimenez.


E-Mail this Story to a Friend
Print this Story

Disclaimer:
The author of this entry is responsible for this content, which is not edited by the Wilson County News or wilsoncountynews.com.
Contributed
March 17, 2009
1,341 views
Post a comment

In the early 1900s, a small one-room schoolhouse existed on West Main Street in Stockdale. The school was located between the Echevarria home, which is still standing, and the present Lucas Cabrera home. Julian Echevarria was the schoolteacher.

Echevarria sailed from Bilbao in northern Spain, near the Bay of Biscay, in 1871, embarking on a two-month voyage to Mexico. He was educated in Mexico and was a professor in Coahuila. In 1917, he migrated to Salinas, Texas.

He married Maria de Rodriguez; together, they had several children.

In 1918, he arrived in Stockdale and established the Echevarria Spanish School. Echevarria taught many of the Mexican-American children in Stockdale from elementary to high school level. Students were taught in Spanish and given a basic education until they attended the schools in the Stockdale Independent School District.

Julian Echevarria retired in 1936 and died in 1938. He is buried in St. Mary’s Catholic Cemetery in Stockdale.

The little school eventually was torn down.

This information was compiled by Wilson County historians John and Shirley Grammer and Maurine Liles, who interviewed Stockdale resident Belen Denecamp on Feb. 24 about the Echevarria Spanish School. Denecamp is a descendant of schoolteacher Julian Echevarria.

Sesquicentennial Committee members: LaJuana Newnam-Leus, 830-393-2166; Shirley and John Grammer, 830-947-3176; Maurine Liles, 830-393-4959; Gene Maeckel, 830-484-2536.
 
« Previous Blog Entry (March 11, 2009)
 


Your Opinions and Comments

Be the first to comment on this story!

You must be logged in to post comments:



Other Wilson County History

Wilson County History logo/header
Wilson County History WC Historical Society
Wilson County History LV Hist Assoc
Wilson County History LABEL books
Wilson County History BOOK historical markers
Wilson County History BOOK centennial
Wilson County History BOOK 44th reunion brigade
Wilson County History sesquicentennial purchase
Wilson County History sesqui book preview online
Wilson County History LABEL history links
Wilson County History LINK findagrave.com
Wilson County History wheeler research-bio/links
Wilson County History LINK judges reception
Wilson County History LINK Sesqui events
Wilson County History wheeler graves
Blue Moon Karaoke & DJEast Central Driving SchoolAllstate & McBride RealtyChester WilsonTriple R DC ExpertsHeavenly Touch homeVoncille Bielefeld home

  Copyright © 2007-2014 Wilson County News. All rights reserved. Web development by Drewa Designs.