Thursday, October 27, 2016
1012 C Street  •  Floresville, TX 78114  •  Phone: 830-216-4519  •  Fax: 830-393-3219  • 
global 2

WCN Site Search

Preview the Paper Preview the Paper

Preview this week's Paper
A limited number of pages are displayed in this preview.
Preview this Week’s Issue ›
Subscribe Today ›

Lost & Found

Video"Mama" has been missing since Sunday evening, Oct. 16 at Countryside Apartments. Cat picture is online. If someone decided to keep her, please let us know at least. Thanks. 830-391-2153.

VideoLost: White Poodle mix, F.M. 539 and Hwy. 87, Sutherland Springs area, needs medicine. Reward. Call 210-789-0118.
Lost: Black Angus calf, between C.R. 331 and C.R. 304 in Floresville, last seen headed towards Terrance and C.R. 304 from C.R. 331. Call Frasier, 830-391-3435.
More Lost & Found ads ›

Help Wanted

Although we make every effort to spot suspicious ads before they run, one may occasionally get into print. If that happens, we ask the consumer to call us ASAP so that we can take corrective action.
Seeking individual to work in a local child-care center, paid holidays, etc., must be high school grad or GED. Apply in person at Cubs Country Childcare, 212 FM 1346 in La Vernia.
More Help Wanted ads ›

Featured Videos

Video Vault ›

Wilson County History

Lay Hotel once thrived in La Vernia

Lay Hotel once thrived in La Vernia
Nannie Green Lay (second from left) stands outside the Lay Hotel in La Vernia, once a prominent business on Chihuahua Street. The young ladies in the photo are thought to be her daughters.

E-Mail this Story to a Friend
Print this Story

The author of this entry is responsible for this content, which is not edited by the Wilson County News or
July 8, 2009
Post a comment

This photo is all that remains of a once-thriving hotel business. Pictured is Nannie Green Lay (1861-1931), the wife of Judge F.M. Lay (1856-1918). Judge Lay was justice of the peace in La Vernia for many years.

The Lay Hotel was located on Chihuahua Street, south of present-day business, La Vernia Pump and Oil Field Supply.

Members of the Lay family are buried in the Concrete Cemetery near La Vernia.

In 1924, H.A. Linne of La Vernia bought the hotel building and moved it to another location to create two attractive rent houses.

The owner of the original photo is Clayton Heathcock, a Lay descendant who lives in Martinez, Calif.
‹ Previous Blog Entry

Your Opinions and Comments

Be the first to comment on this story!

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Not a subscriber?
Subscriber, but no password?
Forgot password?

Wilson County History Archives

No other articles are currently available in this section.
Wilson County History logo/header
Wilson County History WC Historical Society
Wilson County History LV Hist Assoc
Wilson County History LABEL books
Wilson County History sesqui book preview online
Wilson County History sesquicentennial purchase
Wilson County History BOOK historical markers
Wilson County History BOOK 44th reunion brigade
Wilson County History BOOK centennial
Wilson County History LABEL history links
Wilson County History wheeler research-bio/links
Wilson County History LINK Sesqui events
Wilson County History LINK judges reception
Wilson County History wheeler graves
Wilson County History LINK
Allstate & McBride RealtyHeavenly Touch homeTriple R DC ExpertsFriesenhahn Custom WeldingVoncille Bielefeld home

  Copyright © 2007-2016 Wilson County News. All rights reserved. Web development by Drewa Designs.