Sunday, March 1, 2015
1012 C Street  •  Floresville, TX 78114  •  Phone: 830-216-4519  •  Fax: 830-393-3219  • 

WCN Site Search


Lost & Found

Found: Small male dog, white with brown spots, on FM 775, Feb. 10. Call 830-393-0429.

VideoFound: Male Heeler dog, on County Road 307, La Vernia, very friendly to people and other dogs. If he's yours call 830-391-5046.
Lost: Dog, brindle male mix, Feb. 1, CR 122, Floresville, "Knucklehead," very friendly, farm dog. Reward! 210-473-0204.
More Lost & Found ads ›

Help Wanted

*Fair Housing notice. All help wanted advertising in this newspaper is subject to the Fair Housing Act which makes it illegal to advertise "any preference limitation or discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin, or an intention, to make any such preference limitation or discrimination." This newspaper will not knowingly accept any advertising for help wanted ads, which is in violation of the law. Our readers are hereby informed that all dwellings advertised in this newspaper are available on an equal opportunity basis.
Hiring workers for fencing building and farm labor. Call 210-771-5255.
More Help Wanted ads ›

Featured Videos





Video Vault ›

Wilson County History


Lay Hotel once thrived in La Vernia


Lay Hotel once thrived in La Vernia
Nannie Green Lay (second from left) stands outside the Lay Hotel in La Vernia, once a prominent business on Chihuahua Street. The young ladies in the photo are thought to be her daughters.


E-Mail this Story to a Friend
Print this Story

Disclaimer:
The author of this entry is responsible for this content, which is not edited by the Wilson County News or wilsoncountynews.com.
July 8, 2009
1,050 views
Post a comment

This photo is all that remains of a once-thriving hotel business. Pictured is Nannie Green Lay (1861-1931), the wife of Judge F.M. Lay (1856-1918). Judge Lay was justice of the peace in La Vernia for many years.

The Lay Hotel was located on Chihuahua Street, south of present-day business, La Vernia Pump and Oil Field Supply.

Members of the Lay family are buried in the Concrete Cemetery near La Vernia.

In 1924, H.A. Linne of La Vernia bought the hotel building and moved it to another location to create two attractive rent houses.

The owner of the original photo is Clayton Heathcock, a Lay descendant who lives in Martinez, Calif.
 
‹ Previous Blog Entry
 

Your Opinions and Comments


Be the first to comment on this story!


You must be logged in to post a comment.




Not a subscriber?
Subscriber, but no password?
Forgot password?
Wilson County History logo/header
Wilson County History WC Historical Society
Wilson County History LV Hist Assoc
Wilson County History LABEL books
Wilson County History sesqui book preview online
Wilson County History BOOK centennial
Wilson County History BOOK historical markers
Wilson County History BOOK 44th reunion brigade
Wilson County History sesquicentennial purchase
Wilson County History LABEL history links
Wilson County History wheeler research-bio/links
Wilson County History LINK judges reception
Wilson County History LINK findagrave.com
Wilson County History LINK Sesqui events
Wilson County History wheeler graves
Sacred Heart SchoolWilson's Auto ChooserChester WilsonHeavenly Touch homeTriple R DC ExpertsEast Central Driving SchoolVoncille Bielefeld homeDrama KidsAllstate & McBride Realty

  Copyright © 2007-2015 Wilson County News. All rights reserved. Web development by Drewa Designs.