Tuesday, August 30, 2016
1012 C Street  •  Floresville, TX 78114  •  Phone: 830-216-4519  •  Fax: 830-393-3219  • 

WCN Site Search


Preview the Paper Preview the Paper

Preview this week's Paper
A limited number of pages are displayed in this preview.
Preview this Week’s Issue ›
Subscribe Today ›

Lost & Found

Found: Brown, white, and black dog, Aug. 20, Palo Verde, The Estates of Eagle Creek Subdivision, Floresville. Help this little one find its home, call 210-487-8284 or 210-831-1343.  

VideoFound: Senior female Beagle mix in Whispering Oaks, Adkins, blind and deaf, no identification. Call or text 210-259-6977.  

VideoFriendly Boxer, her name is "ZOE". CR225/CR226, Poth area. Reward for safe return call 210-887-9522.
More Lost & Found ads ›

Help Wanted

Kinsel Ford of Pleasanton is now accepting applications for certified diesel and gasoline engine technicians. We offer TOP PAY - 5 day work week - A great working environment - Paid vacation - Paid holidays and paid training. Our shop is one of the busiest in South Texas! See Mike Ramsay at 121 S. Main St. Pleasanton, Texas for an application. Or email your resume to mike@kinselfordpleasanton.com.
Receptionist position available, full-time, some experience with QuickBooks or basic accounting preferred. Apply at 1108 B Street, Floresville or email resume to polloksurveying@yahoo.com.
More Help Wanted ads ›

Featured Videos





Video Vault ›

Wilson County History


Lay Hotel once thrived in La Vernia


Lay Hotel once thrived in La Vernia
Nannie Green Lay (second from left) stands outside the Lay Hotel in La Vernia, once a prominent business on Chihuahua Street. The young ladies in the photo are thought to be her daughters.


E-Mail this Story to a Friend
Print this Story

Disclaimer:
The author of this entry is responsible for this content, which is not edited by the Wilson County News or wilsoncountynews.com.
July 8, 2009
1,266 views
Post a comment

This photo is all that remains of a once-thriving hotel business. Pictured is Nannie Green Lay (1861-1931), the wife of Judge F.M. Lay (1856-1918). Judge Lay was justice of the peace in La Vernia for many years.

The Lay Hotel was located on Chihuahua Street, south of present-day business, La Vernia Pump and Oil Field Supply.

Members of the Lay family are buried in the Concrete Cemetery near La Vernia.

In 1924, H.A. Linne of La Vernia bought the hotel building and moved it to another location to create two attractive rent houses.

The owner of the original photo is Clayton Heathcock, a Lay descendant who lives in Martinez, Calif.
 
‹ Previous Blog Entry
 

Your Opinions and Comments


Be the first to comment on this story!


You must be logged in to post a comment.




Not a subscriber?
Subscriber, but no password?
Forgot password?

Wilson County History Archives


No other articles are currently available in this section.
Wilson County History logo/header
Wilson County History WC Historical Society
Wilson County History LV Hist Assoc
Wilson County History LABEL books
Wilson County History sesquicentennial purchase
Wilson County History BOOK centennial
Wilson County History BOOK 44th reunion brigade
Wilson County History sesqui book preview online
Wilson County History BOOK historical markers
Wilson County History LABEL history links
Wilson County History LINK Sesqui events
Wilson County History LINK judges reception
Wilson County History LINK findagrave.com
Wilson County History wheeler graves
Wilson County History wheeler research-bio/links
Voncille Bielefeld homeTriple R DC ExpertsFriesenhahn Custom WeldingAllstate & McBride RealtyHeavenly Touch home

  Copyright © 2007-2016 Wilson County News. All rights reserved. Web development by Drewa Designs.