Friday, October 31, 2014
1012 C Street  •  Floresville, TX 78114  •  Phone: 830-216-4519  •  Fax: 830-393-3219  • 

Lost & Found

If you are missing a pet in Floresville, be sure to check the Floresville holding facility. Animals are only kept for 3 days. Contact Las Lomas K-9 Rescue, 830-581-8041.

VideoLost: Golden/Pyrenees mix dog, Kaiha, last seen Oct. 11, Hwy. 119, Denhawken area, wearing collar (Drama Queen). Please help us find her! Call Billy 210-745-6059.
Lost Black Manx Cat (No Tail) in La Vernia, Country Hills. Short black hair easy to identify with no tail. Call Diane or Pat 830-253-1235
More Lost & Found ads ›

Help Wanted

The Floresville Independent School District is accepting applications for District Wide Custodian Positions, 2:00 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. shift. Applications may be obtained online at www.fisd.us or contact Sylvia Campa at 830-393-5300 ext. 14002 for appointments. FISD Personnel Office is located at 1200 5th St., Floresville, Texas. 830-393-5300 (Office hours: 8:00-4:00). Applications will be accepted until all positions are filled. An Equal Opportunity Employer.
Ace Electric Construction, JOURNEY AND APPRENTICE ELECTRICIANS, commercial, good pay with benefits, must be: drug free, have dependable transportation, and valid, clean driving record. Call 281-236-4813 or fax resume 281-339-0317.
More Help Wanted ads ›

Featured Videos





Video Vault ›

Wilson County History


The history of the Dewees Remschel House, part I




E-Mail this Story to a Friend
Print this Story

Disclaimer:
The author of this entry is responsible for this content, which is not edited by the Wilson County News or wilsoncountynews.com.
July 13, 2010 | 1705 views | Post a comment

This is part I of a multi-part history of the Dewees Remschel House.

Wilson County and the Wilson County Historical Society have had the good fortune of being bequeathed a historic home situated on a site of 130 acres in southern Wilson County. In addition to this property, the home is furnished with antique furniture and rugs plus an annual endowment of $12,000 for maintenance and operation of this facility as a museum and park.

The house is situated in the eastern center of the original Dewees Ranch. It is located approximately 5 miles southwest of Poth, off of F.M. 541 on Dewees Road.

In her will, Claribel Dewees Remschel, who was a direct descendant of the Dewees family, offered this property to the National Trust for Historic Preservation in Washington, D.C., to develop into a museum and park. After a review of this property by the National Trust, it was refused by them because they felt it was too difficult to manage from Washington, D.C.

As directed by her will, in the event this gift was refused by the National Trust, the trustees in charge of the estate were to find another way to establish the museum in Wilson County. The trustees then approached the Wilson County Historical Society for assistance to develop this property into a museum and park. This opportunity was accepted by the Wilson County Historical Society. It was deemed to be a definite asset to Wilson County in preserving its history and helping develop another point of interest for the viable tourist industry.

The house was originally built by Dr. R.T. Knox in Gonzales, two blocks from the center of town. The two lots on which the Knox house was built are now owned by H-E-B and serve as part of the parking area for their present-day grocery store. The property abstract shows the lots being purchased in April 1866 by R.T. Knox, and it is thought the house was built soon after and occupied by his family until the early 1900s.

Dr. Robert Taggart Knox was an interesting man, as were his descendants who later owned the Dewees Remschel House in Wilson County. Claribel Dewees Remschel was the granddaughter of Thomas Dewees and Kate Ham Dewees. She was also the granddaughter of Dr. Knox’s daughter, Mattie Mae Knox, and Henry Remschel.

Compiled by Gene Maeckel from information in the files of the Wilson County Historical Commission Archives, P.O. Box 101, Floresville, TX 78114. Web site: http://www.wilsoncountyhistory.com .
 
« Previous Blog Entry (July 6, 2010)
 


Your Opinions and Comments
Be the first to comment on this story!

You must be logged in to post comments:



Other Wilson County History
Wilson County History logo/header
Wilson County History WC Historical Society
Wilson County History LV Hist Assoc
Wilson County History LABEL books
Wilson County History sesqui book preview online
Wilson County History BOOK historical markers
Wilson County History BOOK 44th reunion brigade
Wilson County History BOOK centennial
Wilson County History sesquicentennial purchase
Wilson County History LABEL history links
Wilson County History LINK judges reception
Wilson County History LINK findagrave.com
Wilson County History LINK Sesqui events
Wilson County History wheeler research-bio/links
Wilson County History wheeler graves
Chester WilsonTriple R DC ExpertsWilson's Auto ChooserAllstate & McBride RealtyBlue Moon Karaoke & DJSacred Heart SchoolVoncille Bielefeld homeHeavenly Touch homeDrama Kids

  Copyright © 2007-2014 Wilson County News. All rights reserved. Web development by Drewa Designs.