Saturday, October 10, 2015
1012 C Street  •  Floresville, TX 78114  •  Phone: 830-216-4519  •  Fax: 830-393-3219  • 

WCN Site Search

Lost & Found

Found: Pony. Call to describe, 830-391-0074.
*Includes FREE photo online!
Found: Male MinPin?, about 2 years old, not fixed, sweet, very smart, on Sept. 25 inside Floresville Walmart, healthy, no fleas, clean teeth, manicured nails, will keep if owner not found. 830-542-0280.
More Lost & Found ads ›

Help Wanted

Office help needed, MUST HAVE QuickBook experience, some experience in bookkeeping, answering calls, filing, organization, and advertising for the company; starting pay $12, hours are 11:30-5 p.m. Monday-Friday, may become full-time. Must have recommendation letter. Only serious applicants willing to grow with the company need apply. Send resume to
ON-CALL CRISIS POOL WORKERS NEEDED. Part-time positions are available for after hours “on-call” crisis workers to respond to mental health crisis for Wilson and Karnes Counties. Duties include crisis interventions, assessments, referrals to stabilization services, and referrals for involuntary treatment services according to the Texas Mental Health Laws. You must have at least a Bachelor’s Degree in psychology, sociology, social work, nursing, etc. On-call hours are from 5 p.m.-8 a.m. weekdays, weekends and holidays vary. If selected, you must attend required training and must be able to report to designated safe sites within 1 hour of request for assessment. Compensation is at a rate of $200 per week plus $100 per completed and submitted crisis assessment, and mileage. If interested call Camino Real Community Services, 210-357-0359.
More Help Wanted ads ›

Featured Videos

Video Vault ›

Wilson County History

The history of the Dewees Remschel House, part II

E-Mail this Story to a Friend
Print this Story

The author of this entry is responsible for this content, which is not edited by the Wilson County News or
July 20, 2010 | 2,505 views | 1 comment

This is part II of a multi-part history of the Dewees Remschel House.

Dr. Robert Taggart Knox was born in Danville, Ky., in 1832, the second in a family of three children. He was raised in Kentucky and educated in a private school. He began the study of medicine in January 1851 under the tutorship of Dr. J.M. Meyer of Danville and graduated from the University of Louisville in 1854. He started a medical practice in central Kentucky but in 1856, he came to Gonzales where he developed a profitable practice as a physician and surgeon.

Dr. Knox became a Mason at Gonzales in 1857 and became a Knight Templar and a member of the Gonzales Command No. 11. At the beginning of the American Civil War, he was offered the position of surgeon of various regiments but joined Terry’s Rangers in 1862 instead. He was in a camp in Bowling Green, Ky., for some time before leaving because of poor health.

He returned to Gonzales and was appointed physician in charge of the hospital being constructed there at the Confederate military fort.

He was a very active member of the Texas Medical Association and was its first vice president. He was a contributor to medical journals and also invented a medical device called a uterine dilator.

Dr. Knox was married in 1860 to Catherine T. Blake of Chester, S.C. In 1866, Dr. Knox purchased lots 2 and 3 in block 27 of the inner town of Gonzales for $1,000. Three years later, in 1869, he built his home.

Five children were born to this couple. A daughter, Mattie Mae, married Henry Remschel. They were the grandparents of Claribel Dewees Remschel.

Dr. Knox died in Gonzales Friday, Jan. 22, 1898, in the morning in his residence, at the age of 63 years.

Dr. Knox was survived by his wife, two sons, and three daughters. Sometime after his death, his wife moved to Kerr County and sold the home in Gonzales.

Since then and through the years, several families have owned the property. In its later days in Gonzales, the porches were enclosed and the home was divided into several separate rental units. In 1983, the property was purchased by the H-E-B grocery chain.

Compiled by Gene Maeckel from information in the files of the Wilson County Historical Commission Archives, P.O. Box 101, Floresville, TX 78114. Web site: .
‹ Previous Blog Entry

Your Opinions and Comments

Elaine K.  
July 29, 2010 3:32pm
This clarification was received from Betsy Tyson, Archivist and Exhibits Coordinator, TMA Knowledge Center: I did some further research, as the name was not familiar as the first vice president. Here is what I found, and ... More ›

Share your comment or opinion on this story!

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Not a subscriber?
Subscriber, but no password?
Forgot password?
Wilson County History logo/header
Wilson County History WC Historical Society
Wilson County History LV Hist Assoc
Wilson County History LABEL books
Wilson County History BOOK historical markers
Wilson County History BOOK 44th reunion brigade
Wilson County History BOOK centennial
Wilson County History sesqui book preview online
Wilson County History sesquicentennial purchase
Wilson County History LABEL history links
Wilson County History LINK judges reception
Wilson County History LINK
Wilson County History wheeler research-bio/links
Wilson County History LINK Sesqui events
Wilson County History wheeler graves
Heavenly Touch homeVoncille Bielefeld homeDrama KidsTriple R DC ExpertsAllstate & McBride Realtyauto chooser

  Copyright © 2007-2015 Wilson County News. All rights reserved. Web development by Drewa Designs.