Wednesday, January 28, 2015
1012 C Street  •  Floresville, TX 78114  •  Phone: 830-216-4519  •  Fax: 830-393-3219  • 

WCN Site Search


Lost & Found

Lost: Shadow, black female mixed Lab, last seen by F.M. 1303 and Broken Arrow, Jan. 11, white patch on chest, tail curls when happy, 30 lbs. Call/text 817-705-1116.
Found, black and white female dog-Stockdale area. call to identify. 2102165738
Reward. Help "Bear" find his way back home. We miss him very much, black manx cat (no tail), medium build, missing since Oct. 22. 210-635-7560.
More Lost & Found ads ›

Help Wanted

Tractor City is looking for help with delivery, washing tractors, light mechanical work including tractor maintenance, mowing, and general help. Come to the store at 688 Hwy. 97 E., Floresville.
Mission Road Ministries is a nonprofit organization serving more than 825 children and adults with intellectual & other developmental disabilities each day with residential, day services and vocational programs in San Antonio, Texas helping clients reach independence, productivity and inclusion in the community. Seeking Residential Care Professionals for our Children and Adult Programs; FT, PT.  $8-$10.25/hr. depending on experience and education.  Must be at least 21 years of age; pass background check and drug testing.  Interviews every week. Call for an appointment, 210-924-9265.
More Help Wanted ads ›

Featured Videos





Video Vault ›

Wilson County History


The history of the Dewees Remschel House, part II




E-Mail this Story to a Friend
Print this Story

Disclaimer:
The author of this entry is responsible for this content, which is not edited by the Wilson County News or wilsoncountynews.com.
July 20, 2010 | 1,818 views | 1 comment

This is part II of a multi-part history of the Dewees Remschel House.

Dr. Robert Taggart Knox was born in Danville, Ky., in 1832, the second in a family of three children. He was raised in Kentucky and educated in a private school. He began the study of medicine in January 1851 under the tutorship of Dr. J.M. Meyer of Danville and graduated from the University of Louisville in 1854. He started a medical practice in central Kentucky but in 1856, he came to Gonzales where he developed a profitable practice as a physician and surgeon.

Dr. Knox became a Mason at Gonzales in 1857 and became a Knight Templar and a member of the Gonzales Command No. 11. At the beginning of the American Civil War, he was offered the position of surgeon of various regiments but joined Terry’s Rangers in 1862 instead. He was in a camp in Bowling Green, Ky., for some time before leaving because of poor health.

He returned to Gonzales and was appointed physician in charge of the hospital being constructed there at the Confederate military fort.

He was a very active member of the Texas Medical Association and was its first vice president. He was a contributor to medical journals and also invented a medical device called a uterine dilator.

Dr. Knox was married in 1860 to Catherine T. Blake of Chester, S.C. In 1866, Dr. Knox purchased lots 2 and 3 in block 27 of the inner town of Gonzales for $1,000. Three years later, in 1869, he built his home.

Five children were born to this couple. A daughter, Mattie Mae, married Henry Remschel. They were the grandparents of Claribel Dewees Remschel.

Dr. Knox died in Gonzales Friday, Jan. 22, 1898, in the morning in his residence, at the age of 63 years.

Dr. Knox was survived by his wife, two sons, and three daughters. Sometime after his death, his wife moved to Kerr County and sold the home in Gonzales.

Since then and through the years, several families have owned the property. In its later days in Gonzales, the porches were enclosed and the home was divided into several separate rental units. In 1983, the property was purchased by the H-E-B grocery chain.

Compiled by Gene Maeckel from information in the files of the Wilson County Historical Commission Archives, P.O. Box 101, Floresville, TX 78114. Web site: http://www.wilsoncountyhistory.com .
 
« Previous Blog Entry (July 13, 2010)
 


Your Opinions and Comments

 
Elaine K.  
Floresville  
July 29, 2010 3:32pm
 
 
This clarification was received from Betsy Tyson, Archivist and Exhibits Coordinator, TMA Knowledge Center:

I did some further research, as the name was not familiar as ... Read More Read More
 

Share your comment or opinion on this story!


You must be logged in to post comments:



Other Wilson County History

Wilson County History logo/header
Wilson County History WC Historical Society
Wilson County History LV Hist Assoc
Wilson County History LABEL books
Wilson County History BOOK historical markers
Wilson County History sesquicentennial purchase
Wilson County History BOOK 44th reunion brigade
Wilson County History BOOK centennial
Wilson County History sesqui book preview online
Wilson County History LABEL history links
Wilson County History wheeler graves
Wilson County History LINK Sesqui events
Wilson County History LINK judges reception
Wilson County History wheeler research-bio/links
Wilson County History LINK findagrave.com
Triple R DC ExpertsHeavenly Touch homeChester WilsonAllstate & McBride RealtyVoncille Bielefeld homeEast Central Driving SchoolBlue Moon Karaoke & DJ

  Copyright © 2007-2015 Wilson County News. All rights reserved. Web development by Drewa Designs.