Tuesday, June 30, 2015
1012 C Street  •  Floresville, TX 78114  •  Phone: 830-216-4519  •  Fax: 830-393-3219  • 

WCN Site Search


Lost & Found

Our beloved Gracie is missing since October, Dachshund/Lab mix, microchipped, about 30 pounds, black with little white. $1000 reward for safe return. Call with any information, 830-393-9999 or 419-250-9099.
Lost: Calf, red and black tiger striped, white faced, Oak Hill Rd. off U.S. Hwy. 87, La Vernia. Call Carrol, 210-488-3071. 

VideoFound female med sized dog on Hickory Hill Dr in LaVernia. Pic in WCNews online ad. Probably not neutered, very playful and gets along well with cats. Please call 830-947-3458
More Lost & Found ads ›

Help Wanted

Live at no charge in upscale apartment as companion for man with autism and intellectual disability, south/downtown San Antonio, foster care through Medicaid Waiver Program, couples may apply, IRS okays wages, nontaxable, background check required. Send resume to mmoyer@satx.rr.com or text for more information 210-382-6369.
Billing and Shipping Rep. needed for local manufacturer in Elmendorf. Responsibilities: customer service, sales order entry, bills of lading, Internet sales and shipping, filing, and answering phones. Requirements: high school diploma or GED, packaging and shipping knowledge preferred with DOT and HAZMAT. Excellent benefits offered. Apply in person at 7124 Richter Road, Elmendorf, TX or fax resume to 210-635-7999.
More Help Wanted ads ›

Featured Videos





Video Vault ›

Wilson County History


The history of the Dewees Remschel House, part III




E-Mail this Story to a Friend
Print this Story

Disclaimer:
The author of this entry is responsible for this content, which is not edited by the Wilson County News or wilsoncountynews.com.
July 27, 2010 | 3,124 views | 1 comment

This is part III of a multi-part history of the Dewees Remschel House.

After the death of Dr. Robert Taggert Knox in 1898, his wife sold the house in Gonzales, which later became known as the Dewees Remschel House.

Through the years, several families have owned the property, and in its later days in Gonzales, the porches were enclosed and the home was divided into several separate rental units. In 1983, the property was purchased by the H-E-B grocery chain.

Claribel Dewees Remschel, a descendant of the Knox family, expressed an interest in the building structure. H-E-B offered the house to her if it would be moved off the lots at no cost to H-E-B. The Gonzales Historical Commission also expressed an interest in the house to preserve it in Gonzales, but H-E-B agreed to give it to them, only if Claribel did not accept it.

In the fall of 1983, Claribel Dewees Remschel contracted with Wood House Moving Co. of San Antonio to move the house to her ranch in Wilson County at a cost of $22,000. The size of the structure was such that it could not be moved as one piece. The upper story of the house had to be demolished, with the material being salvaged and stored on top of the two first-floor sections. The demolition work was performed by Joe Matejcek Construction Co. of Gonzales for a sum of $10,500.

The remaining first floor was divided into two sections for moving to the ranch site. At the ranch site, the first floor was reassembled and set on concrete piers. Reconstruction of the second story was performed by a local contractor.

Reconstruction work had not been completed at the time of Claribel Dewees Remschel’s death in 1996, even though the house was livable and it served as her residence on the ranch.

Using funds from the estate, the trustees retained architects Kell-Munoz-Wigodsky of San Antonio. They asked them to prepare the drawings and construction documents to complete the restoration of the house. Randy Hohlaus was approved as the principal architect in charge of the project.

The contract for the construction work was awarded to Guido Construction Co. of San Antonio at the cost of $250,000.

The work was completed in September 1997, and the transfer of title to Wilson County and the Wilson County Historical Society was accomplished in January of 1998.

Compiled by Gene Maeckel from information in the files of the Wilson County Historical Commission Archives, P.O. Box 101, Floresville, TX 78114. Web site: http://www.wilsoncountyhistory.com .
 
‹ Previous Blog Entry
 

Your Opinions and Comments

 
Ken Semlinger  
Poth, TX  
July 30, 2010 12:39pm
 
Good stuff Gene!

Share your comment or opinion on this story!


You must be logged in to post a comment.




Not a subscriber?
Subscriber, but no password?
Forgot password?
Wilson County History logo/header
Wilson County History WC Historical Society
Wilson County History LV Hist Assoc
Wilson County History LABEL books
Wilson County History BOOK 44th reunion brigade
Wilson County History BOOK historical markers
Wilson County History BOOK centennial
Wilson County History sesquicentennial purchase
Wilson County History sesqui book preview online
Wilson County History LABEL history links
Wilson County History wheeler research-bio/links
Wilson County History LINK Sesqui events
Wilson County History LINK findagrave.com
Wilson County History wheeler graves
Wilson County History LINK judges reception
Pulse Research expires 6/30/15Allstate & McBride RealtyHeavenly Touch homeauto chooserVoncille Bielefeld homeTriple R DC ExpertsDrama Kids

  Copyright © 2007-2015 Wilson County News. All rights reserved. Web development by Drewa Designs.