Tuesday, October 21, 2014
1012 C Street  •  Floresville, TX 78114  •  Phone: 830-216-4519  •  Fax: 830-393-3219  • 

Lost & Found


VideoBlack female Chihuahua named Gloomy. Missing off CR 126. Please call 210-428-3803. She is being missed dearly by her family!
Found tan hunting dog. Elderly male not neutered or chipped. Please call 8303915099.
Lost: 2 Basset Hounds, off of CR 320, male and female, no collars. 210-418-4114.
More Lost & Found ads ›

Help Wanted

The Floresville Independent School District is accepting applications for District Wide Custodian Positions, 2:00 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. shift. Applications may be obtained online at www.fisd.us or contact Sylvia Campa at 830-393-5300 ext. 14002 for appointments. FISD Personnel Office is located at 1200 5th St., Floresville, Texas. 830-393-5300 (Office hours: 8:00-4:00). Applications will be accepted until all positions are filled. An Equal Opportunity Employer.
Mission Road Ministries is a nonprofit organization serving more than 825 children and adults with intellectual & other developmental disabilities each day with residential, day services and vocational programs in San Antonio, Texas helping clients reach independence, productivity and inclusion in the community. Seeking Residential Care Professionals for our Children and Adult Programs; FT, PT.  $8-$10.25/hr. depending on experience and education.  Must be at least 21 years of age; pass background check and drug testing.  Interviews every week. Call for an appointment, 210-924-9265.
More Help Wanted ads ›

Featured Videos





Video Vault ›

Wilson County History


The history of the Dewees Remschel House, part III




E-Mail this Story to a Friend
Print this Story

Disclaimer:
The author of this entry is responsible for this content, which is not edited by the Wilson County News or wilsoncountynews.com.
July 27, 2010 | 2482 views | 1 comment

This is part III of a multi-part history of the Dewees Remschel House.

After the death of Dr. Robert Taggert Knox in 1898, his wife sold the house in Gonzales, which later became known as the Dewees Remschel House.

Through the years, several families have owned the property, and in its later days in Gonzales, the porches were enclosed and the home was divided into several separate rental units. In 1983, the property was purchased by the H-E-B grocery chain.

Claribel Dewees Remschel, a descendant of the Knox family, expressed an interest in the building structure. H-E-B offered the house to her if it would be moved off the lots at no cost to H-E-B. The Gonzales Historical Commission also expressed an interest in the house to preserve it in Gonzales, but H-E-B agreed to give it to them, only if Claribel did not accept it.

In the fall of 1983, Claribel Dewees Remschel contracted with Wood House Moving Co. of San Antonio to move the house to her ranch in Wilson County at a cost of $22,000. The size of the structure was such that it could not be moved as one piece. The upper story of the house had to be demolished, with the material being salvaged and stored on top of the two first-floor sections. The demolition work was performed by Joe Matejcek Construction Co. of Gonzales for a sum of $10,500.

The remaining first floor was divided into two sections for moving to the ranch site. At the ranch site, the first floor was reassembled and set on concrete piers. Reconstruction of the second story was performed by a local contractor.

Reconstruction work had not been completed at the time of Claribel Dewees Remschel’s death in 1996, even though the house was livable and it served as her residence on the ranch.

Using funds from the estate, the trustees retained architects Kell-Munoz-Wigodsky of San Antonio. They asked them to prepare the drawings and construction documents to complete the restoration of the house. Randy Hohlaus was approved as the principal architect in charge of the project.

The contract for the construction work was awarded to Guido Construction Co. of San Antonio at the cost of $250,000.

The work was completed in September 1997, and the transfer of title to Wilson County and the Wilson County Historical Society was accomplished in January of 1998.

Compiled by Gene Maeckel from information in the files of the Wilson County Historical Commission Archives, P.O. Box 101, Floresville, TX 78114. Web site: http://www.wilsoncountyhistory.com .
 
« Previous Blog Entry (July 20, 2010)
 


Your Opinions and Comments
 
Ken Semlinger  
Poth, TX  
July 30, 2010 12:39pm
 
 
Good stuff Gene!
 

Share your comment or opinion on this story!


You must be logged in to post comments:



Other Wilson County History


Wilson County History logo/header
Wilson County History WC Historical Society
Wilson County History LV Hist Assoc
Wilson County History LABEL books
Wilson County History sesquicentennial purchase
Wilson County History BOOK 44th reunion brigade
Wilson County History BOOK historical markers
Wilson County History BOOK centennial
Wilson County History sesqui book preview online
Wilson County History LABEL history links
Wilson County History wheeler graves
Wilson County History wheeler research-bio/links
Wilson County History LINK Sesqui events
Wilson County History LINK judges reception
Wilson County History LINK findagrave.com

Drama KidsVoncille Bielefeld homeTriple R DC ExpertsAllstate & McBride RealtyHeavenly Touch homeBlue Moon Karaoke & DJSacred Heart SchoolWilson's Auto ChooserChester Wilson
  Copyright © 2007-2014 Wilson County News. All rights reserved. Web development by Drewa Designs.