Saturday, July 23, 2016
1012 C Street  •  Floresville, TX 78114  •  Phone: 830-216-4519  •  Fax: 830-393-3219  • 

WCN Site Search


Preview the Paper Preview the Paper

Preview this week's Paper
A limited number of pages are displayed in this preview.
Preview this Week’s Issue ›
Subscribe Today ›

Lost & Found


VideoLost: Large black/white Pit Bull, last seen 3 weeks ago, Hwy. 97 between Floresville and Pleasanton. If found call 830-391-5660.
Found: Female Dachshund with a purple collar, July 6 on F.M. 775 and 3432 south of La Vernia. Call 830-947-3490.
Our beloved Gracie is missing, Dachshund/Lab mix, microchipped, about 30 pounds, black with little white. Call with any information, 830-393-9999 or 419-250-9099.
More Lost & Found ads ›

Help Wanted

Interested in working with children? We are looking to hire new P/T and F/T teachers. Must have Highschool diploma, experience a plus. Apply in person at Starlings Darlings Learning Center 1888 CR 128 Floresville TX 78114 or send resume to starlingsdarlingsLC@yahoo.com
CASA OUTREACH COORDINATOR, FULL-TIME POSITION, provides professional staff support to CASA volunteers to ensure that the best interests of abused children in the foster care system are represented in court. Social services experience required. Responsible for recruiting and facilitating advocate training, making community presentations, and coordinating cases in Wilson and Karnes Counties with Atascosa County (home office). Must demonstrate written and oral communication skills. Must be available to work intermittent evenings/weekends with some travel.  Must pass background checks, have personal car, current TDL, and auto liability insurance. Call CASA of South Texas at 830-569-4696 for application, or e-mail request to casajoni@att.net by July 28.
More Help Wanted ads ›

Featured Videos





Video Vault ›

Wilson County History


The history of the Dewees Remschel House, part III




E-Mail this Story to a Friend
Print this Story

Disclaimer:
The author of this entry is responsible for this content, which is not edited by the Wilson County News or wilsoncountynews.com.
July 27, 2010 | 3,722 views | 1 comment

This is part III of a multi-part history of the Dewees Remschel House.

After the death of Dr. Robert Taggert Knox in 1898, his wife sold the house in Gonzales, which later became known as the Dewees Remschel House.

Through the years, several families have owned the property, and in its later days in Gonzales, the porches were enclosed and the home was divided into several separate rental units. In 1983, the property was purchased by the H-E-B grocery chain.

Claribel Dewees Remschel, a descendant of the Knox family, expressed an interest in the building structure. H-E-B offered the house to her if it would be moved off the lots at no cost to H-E-B. The Gonzales Historical Commission also expressed an interest in the house to preserve it in Gonzales, but H-E-B agreed to give it to them, only if Claribel did not accept it.

In the fall of 1983, Claribel Dewees Remschel contracted with Wood House Moving Co. of San Antonio to move the house to her ranch in Wilson County at a cost of $22,000. The size of the structure was such that it could not be moved as one piece. The upper story of the house had to be demolished, with the material being salvaged and stored on top of the two first-floor sections. The demolition work was performed by Joe Matejcek Construction Co. of Gonzales for a sum of $10,500.

The remaining first floor was divided into two sections for moving to the ranch site. At the ranch site, the first floor was reassembled and set on concrete piers. Reconstruction of the second story was performed by a local contractor.

Reconstruction work had not been completed at the time of Claribel Dewees Remschel’s death in 1996, even though the house was livable and it served as her residence on the ranch.

Using funds from the estate, the trustees retained architects Kell-Munoz-Wigodsky of San Antonio. They asked them to prepare the drawings and construction documents to complete the restoration of the house. Randy Hohlaus was approved as the principal architect in charge of the project.

The contract for the construction work was awarded to Guido Construction Co. of San Antonio at the cost of $250,000.

The work was completed in September 1997, and the transfer of title to Wilson County and the Wilson County Historical Society was accomplished in January of 1998.

Compiled by Gene Maeckel from information in the files of the Wilson County Historical Commission Archives, P.O. Box 101, Floresville, TX 78114. Web site: http://www.wilsoncountyhistory.com .
 
‹ Previous Blog Entry
 

Your Opinions and Comments

 
Ken Semlinger  
Poth, TX  
July 30, 2010 12:39pm
 
Good stuff Gene!

Share your comment or opinion on this story!


You must be logged in to post a comment.




Not a subscriber?
Subscriber, but no password?
Forgot password?

Wilson County History Archives


No other articles are currently available in this section.
Wilson County History logo/header
Wilson County History WC Historical Society
Wilson County History LV Hist Assoc
Wilson County History LABEL books
Wilson County History BOOK centennial
Wilson County History sesqui book preview online
Wilson County History BOOK 44th reunion brigade
Wilson County History sesquicentennial purchase
Wilson County History BOOK historical markers
Wilson County History LABEL history links
Wilson County History LINK findagrave.com
Wilson County History wheeler research-bio/links
Wilson County History LINK Sesqui events
Wilson County History LINK judges reception
Wilson County History wheeler graves
Voncille Bielefeld homeHeavenly Touch homeTriple R DC ExpertsAllstate & McBride Realty

  Copyright © 2007-2016 Wilson County News. All rights reserved. Web development by Drewa Designs.