CPS Energy reminds customers of safety tips as cold front nears
CPS ENERGY REMINDS CUSTOMERS OF SAFETY TIPS AS COLD FRONT NEARS
Temperatures near or below freezing are expected in the San Antonio area this week as the National Weather Service predicts a cold front will move in tonight. With wind chill values forecasted to be in the teens or below during overnight hours, CPS Energy reminds customers of safety tips to reduce risks and prepare for cold weather.
· Never use the stove, electric or gas, as a heater. Gas stoves can present both a fire and carbon monoxide poisoning danger.
· Leave your home immediately, without using any electric or battery-powered items, if you smell something similar to rotten eggs. It could be a natural gas leak. Immediately call 911 and CPS Energy at 353-HELP.
· Install smoke and carbon-monoxide detectors - include sleeping areas. Test and replace batteries periodically.
· Place space heaters at least three (3) feet away from objects such as bedding, furniture, and drapes. Remove flammable liquids and spray cans from the area.
· Never wear loose-fitting clothes near a space heater, use the heater to dry clothes or shoes, or place any items on top of the heater.
· Select a child- and pet-friendly space heater that reduces their risk of getting burned; has a tip switch, which turns off the heater if it’s knocked over; and has an Underwriters Laboratories (UL) seal.
· Do not use any electric device with a power cord that is frayed, broken or exposed and do not place a rug over the cord.
In the event of a power outage:
· Keep a flashlight and a battery-powered radio nearby.
· Report outages to 353-HELP (353-4357) or call toll-free at 1-800 870-1006 in rural areas.
· Turn off all major electrical appliances that were on, including your electrical heating system, until the power is restored.
· Once power is restored, slowly warm up your home and turn on appliances as needed to limit the risks of creating an additional power outage.
· Always have a personal emergency plan if health care needs demand the use of electricity for medical equipment.
For more safety tips, visit http://www.cpsenergy.com .
CPS Energy is the nation’s largest municipally owned natural gas and electric utility, providing service to approximately 707,000 electric customers and 322,000 natural gas customers in and around the City of San Antonio. The utility ranks among the nation’s lowest-cost energy providers while ranking number 1 in wind-energy capacity among municipally owned utilities.
Your Opinions and Comments
Be the first to comment on this story!
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Breaking News Archives
AgriLife Extension to offer programs on Zika, mosquito management in SA (August 24, 2016)
Falls City plans early release for Bruni game Aug. 26 (August 23, 2016)
Most Wanted Fugitive Captured in San Antonio (August 23, 2016)
Watch for signal lights at Standish and Fourth streets (August 23, 2016)
Filing deadline Aug. 25 for Floresville council Place 3, today for other offices (August 22, 2016)
Nixon-Smiley CISD closed first day of school (August 22, 2016)
Rain totals for the week (August 22, 2016)
Overnight flooding causes widespread damage in Wilson County; emergency... (August 21, 2016)
Shelter for flood victims open in Floresville (August 21, 2016)
Poth football scrimmage moved (August 18, 2016)
Counterfeit $20 bills spotted in Floresville (August 17, 2016)
DPS Reminds Drivers to Obey Traffic Laws, Watch For Children As New School... (August 17, 2016)
Weather moves Falls City Aug. 18 scrimmage (August 17, 2016)
Johnny Garcia: One of Texas 10 Most Wanted Fugitives (August 16, 2016)
Flash flood watch issued (August 15, 2016)
Local rain reports (August 15, 2016)
Authorities seek information on vehicle theft (August 11, 2016)
Texas Rangers arrest Nixon city manager (August 11, 2016)
What’s going on? Floresville Police Department closed (August 11, 2016)
Floresville Event Center fire-suppression system fails inspection; city... (August 10, 2016)
Venue change for Rancho de las Cabras film (August 10, 2016)
Police arrest suspect in Nixon armed robbery (August 3, 2016)
Prescribed Burn Planned for Government Canyon State Natural Area Wednesday (August 2, 2016)