Friday, May 27, 2016
1012 C Street  •  Floresville, TX 78114  •  Phone: 830-216-4519  •  Fax: 830-393-3219  • 

WCN Site Search

Preview the Paper Preview the Paper

Preview this week's Paper
A limited number of pages are displayed in this preview.
Preview this Week’s Issue ›
Subscribe Today ›

Lost & Found

VideoMISSING TORTOISE from S. Palo Alto Dr. in Estates of Eagle Creek on May 17th. If you see him, please contact us @ (210) 913-4558 or (830) 393-4030.

VideoLost: German mix, male, tip of one ear missing, micro chipped, last seen with blue collar and blue bone tag with name and house number. Call if found, 830-779-2512.

VideoFound: Shepherd mix, showed up near C.R. 307 and C.R. 317, La Vernia, about one week ago, has orange collar with no tags. 210-385-2892.
More Lost & Found ads ›

Help Wanted

Highway Construction Company has opening for person with electrical experience to work on project in San Antonio area. Call 210-633-9268 or 830-216-7420. EOE.
Hiring full-time/part-time individual to work at local child care center, must have high school diploma or GED. Apply in person at Little Bear Child Care Center, 12992 Hwy. 87 W., La Vernia.
More Help Wanted ads ›

Featured Videos

Video Vault ›
TNMCRichardson Chevrolet homeRE/MAX home
You’ve been granted free access to this subscribers only article.

Special Section

SENIOR LIVING: Living wills: Planning for the inevitable

E-Mail this Story to a Friend
Print this Story
May 10, 2011 | 1,737 views | Post a comment

Creating a living will is one of those things most

people want and plan to do, but rarely get around to actually doing. Less than 30 percent of Americans currently have one. But preparing one now gives you say in how you want to be treated at the end of your life, not to mention it can spare your loved ones some very stressful decisions at an emotional time.

To adequately spell out your wishes regarding your end-of-life medical treatment you need two legal documents: A “living will” which tells your doctor what kind of care you want to receive if you become incapacitated. And a “medical power of attorney” (or health care proxy) which names a person you authorize to make

medical decisions on your behalf if you become unable to. These two documents are known as advance directives.


Today, there are several free or low-cost resources to help you write your advance directive, and it takes only a few minutes from start to finish. Here are some good places to find help:

• Caring Connections: A resource created by the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization that provides free information and state-specific advance directive forms with instructions on their Web site ( that you can download and print. Or, you can

call 800-658-8898 and they will mail them to you and answer any questions you may have.

• Aging with Dignity: An advocacy organization that offers an easy-to-use legal document called “Five ishes” that covers all facets of an advance directive. Five Wishes is legally valid in 40 states and costs $5. To get a copy, visit or call 888-594-7437.

• Online resources: For under $15 Web sites like legacywriter. com and can create a living will and medical power of attorney for you by asking you questions and inserting your answers. Once you’re finished, you simply print it out (or they can mail it to you) and sign it with two witnesses present to make it legal. You may also need to get it notarized depending on the state you live in. Or, if you’re looking for a little extra help, try This site works like the others but will then have a specialist review your answers for

completeness. The cost for this service starts at $39.

• U.S. Living Will Registry: This is a nifty service that electronically stores your advance directive and organ donor information and makes these documents available to your family or health care providers 24 hours a day via the Internet or telephone. The cost to register is $125. See for more information.

Multipurpose Planning

If you are looking for a comprehensive estate planning tool “Quicken WillMaker Plus 2010” (; 800-728-3555) is a top resource that uses computer software to create state-specific living wills, as well as property wills, trusts and many other documents. You can purchase it as a downloadable software program for $40, or you can get it on a CD for $42. If you would rather use a lawyer to draft your advance directive, look for one who specializes in estate planning and health care related matters. The National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (, and the National Association of Estate Planners and Councils ( are good resources to start with.

Your Opinions and Comments

Be the first to comment on this story!

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Not a subscriber?
Subscriber, but no password?
Forgot password?

Special Section Archives

RS Gate & Supply
Caraway Ford
Pat Brown Realtors, Inc. home
Custom Construction LLC
Drama Kids
Sherwood Surveying
John D. Foster home
OSO Construction
Hoelschers home
WCN web hosting
Abrego Lake
Allstate & McBride RealtyVoncille Bielefeld homeTriple R DC ExpertsHeavenly Touch home

  Copyright © 2007-2016 Wilson County News. All rights reserved. Web development by Drewa Designs.