Saturday, August 29, 2015
1012 C Street Floresville, TX 78114 Phone: 830-216-4519 Fax: 830-393-3219
Forest Service urges caution over holiday weekend
COLLEGE STATION -- Texas Forest Service is urging Texans to use caution when observing the Memorial Day holiday weekend.
It doesn’t take much to ignite a potentially devastating wildfire. The state is experiencing severe drought conditions. When vegetation is cured, just a small spark or ember can start a wildfire.
Always check with local government or fire department officials to make sure outdoor cooking and campfires are allowed in your county -- and be sure to comply with all restrictions.
Memorial Day Safety Tips
• When barbecuing, never leave the grill unattended. Locate the grill away from your home and any combustible materials.
• Clear away grass, leaves and other debris within a 10-foot perimeter of any campfire or barbecue grill.
• Ensure all campfires and barbecue coals are completely extinguished before leaving.
• Never use gasoline to start a barbecue.
• Have water on hand just in case. If a fire does start, call 911 immediately.
• Remember you are responsible for any fire you start and any associated cost or damage that fire may cause.
You can use Texas Forest Service resources to monitor the current wildfire status and create a wildfire action plan for your home.
Your Opinions and Comments
Be the first to comment on this story!
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Breaking News Archives
Governor Abbott Announces LIFE Initiative In Response To Planned Parenthood Videos (August 28, 2015)
DPS offers $3,000 reward for fugitive from San Antonio (August 26, 2015)
Officials hope jewelry will offer clues to burned woman's identity (August 26, 2015)
Rainfall totals reported from weekend (August 24, 2015)
18-wheeler crash, rain, limits traffic north of Stockdale (August 20, 2015)
SAPD officer dies in La Vernia (August 20, 2015)
AirLife transports one in morning accident (August 15, 2015)
Gov. Abbott Statement On Capture Of Suspected Capitol Arsonist (August 13, 2015)
Floresville police seek forgery suspect (August 12, 2015)
Nehring surrenders to authorities for livestock theft (August 12, 2015)
Gonzales County deputies arrest Nixon city manager (August 7, 2015)