Sunday, September 25, 2016
1012 C Street Floresville, TX 78114 Phone: 830-216-4519 Fax: 830-393-3219
Forest Service urges caution over holiday weekend
COLLEGE STATION -- Texas Forest Service is urging Texans to use caution when observing the Memorial Day holiday weekend.
It doesn’t take much to ignite a potentially devastating wildfire. The state is experiencing severe drought conditions. When vegetation is cured, just a small spark or ember can start a wildfire.
Always check with local government or fire department officials to make sure outdoor cooking and campfires are allowed in your county -- and be sure to comply with all restrictions.
Memorial Day Safety Tips
• When barbecuing, never leave the grill unattended. Locate the grill away from your home and any combustible materials.
• Clear away grass, leaves and other debris within a 10-foot perimeter of any campfire or barbecue grill.
• Ensure all campfires and barbecue coals are completely extinguished before leaving.
• Never use gasoline to start a barbecue.
• Have water on hand just in case. If a fire does start, call 911 immediately.
• Remember you are responsible for any fire you start and any associated cost or damage that fire may cause.
You can use Texas Forest Service resources to monitor the current wildfire status and create a wildfire action plan for your home.
Your Opinions and Comments
Be the first to comment on this story!
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Breaking News Archives
Help SAPD find suspects in aggravated robbery (September 21, 2016)
Smith Gas celebrates 88 years in business (September 20, 2016)
San Antonio alert: Missing person (September 15, 2016)
TXDOT offers free child car seat inspections to save young lives (September 15, 2016)
Update: Car passes stopped school bus, injures Floresville student (September 14, 2016)
Remembering 9-11 (September 11, 2016)
Rain totals for the week (September 6, 2016)
Two 18-wheelers collide near Stockdale, cause highway closure (September 6, 2016)
Former Floresville Mayor Diana Garza passes away (September 3, 2016)
FC homecoming postponed (September 2, 2016)
Play it Safe on the Water over Labor Day Weekend (September 2, 2016)