Forest Service urges caution over holiday weekend
COLLEGE STATION -- Texas Forest Service is urging Texans to use caution when observing the Memorial Day holiday weekend.
It doesn’t take much to ignite a potentially devastating wildfire. The state is experiencing severe drought conditions. When vegetation is cured, just a small spark or ember can start a wildfire.
Always check with local government or fire department officials to make sure outdoor cooking and campfires are allowed in your county -- and be sure to comply with all restrictions.
Memorial Day Safety Tips
• When barbecuing, never leave the grill unattended. Locate the grill away from your home and any combustible materials.
• Clear away grass, leaves and other debris within a 10-foot perimeter of any campfire or barbecue grill.
• Ensure all campfires and barbecue coals are completely extinguished before leaving.
• Never use gasoline to start a barbecue.
• Have water on hand just in case. If a fire does start, call 911 immediately.
• Remember you are responsible for any fire you start and any associated cost or damage that fire may cause.
You can use Texas Forest Service resources to monitor the current wildfire status and create a wildfire action plan for your home.
Your Opinions and Comments
Be the first to comment on this story!
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Breaking News Archives
Governor Abbott Adds 24 Counties To Disaster Declaration, including Wilson (May 25, 2015)
National Weather Service continues alerts (May 25, 2015)
Rain leads to flooding, road closures (May 25, 2015)
Update: Tornado warning extended: National Weather Service (May 25, 2015)
Flash flood warning until 12:15 a.m. (May 23, 2015)
Tornado watch until 3 a.m. (May 23, 2015)
Flash flood watch for all of South Central Texas, May 23-24 (May 22, 2015)
Update: Encana workers secure blown Karnes County gas well (May 21, 2015)
Rainfall report: May 11-17 (May 18, 2015)
Flash flood warning issued May 15, expires at 1:45 p.m. (May 15, 2015)
Union Pacific suspects weather caused Pleasanton derailment (May 15, 2015)
Events rescheduled this weekend (May 14, 2015)
Severe thunderstorms, flooding possible in area (May 14, 2015)
Tornado watch for South Central Texas (May 13, 2015)
Weather Updates; Road closures; Flash flood warning until 5:15 p.m. (May 13, 2015)
Flash flood watch continues May 12 (May 12, 2015)
Officers nab fleeing fugitive (May 12, 2015)
Rainfall reports for May 4-10 (May 11, 2015)
Update: Six suffer injuries in U.S. 87 crash (May 7, 2015)
Cornyn Presses State Department On Clinton Emails (May 6, 2015)
ADL condemns violence at Garland event (May 4, 2015)