Tuesday, June 28, 2016
1012 C Street Floresville, TX 78114 Phone: 830-216-4519 Fax: 830-393-3219
Forest Service urges caution over holiday weekend
COLLEGE STATION -- Texas Forest Service is urging Texans to use caution when observing the Memorial Day holiday weekend.
It doesn’t take much to ignite a potentially devastating wildfire. The state is experiencing severe drought conditions. When vegetation is cured, just a small spark or ember can start a wildfire.
Always check with local government or fire department officials to make sure outdoor cooking and campfires are allowed in your county -- and be sure to comply with all restrictions.
Memorial Day Safety Tips
• When barbecuing, never leave the grill unattended. Locate the grill away from your home and any combustible materials.
• Clear away grass, leaves and other debris within a 10-foot perimeter of any campfire or barbecue grill.
• Ensure all campfires and barbecue coals are completely extinguished before leaving.
• Never use gasoline to start a barbecue.
• Have water on hand just in case. If a fire does start, call 911 immediately.
• Remember you are responsible for any fire you start and any associated cost or damage that fire may cause.
You can use Texas Forest Service resources to monitor the current wildfire status and create a wildfire action plan for your home.
Your Opinions and Comments
Be the first to comment on this story!
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Breaking News Archives
Adkins man arrested for wife’s 2013 murder (June 23, 2016)
Afternoon crash injures one, closes Business Loop 181 in Floresville (June 23, 2016)
Floresville police seek alleged credit card abuser (June 23, 2016)
Floresville road work on S.H. 97 through July 4 (June 22, 2016)
Authorities seek information on two ATVs theft (June 21, 2016)
Time Warner gets Floresville-area Internet back in action (June 14, 2016)
No serious injuries in Floresville rollover (June 10, 2016)
Giant Floresville gator is dead (June 9, 2016)
Truck stolen from Best Western (June 9, 2016)
Fuel thief strikes again in Floresville (June 8, 2016)
Local rainfall totals (June 6, 2016)
Saturday Update from NWS: Flood warnings for area rivers (June 3, 2016)
Weather prompts change in location for LVISD graduation ceremony (June 3, 2016)
Crime Stoppers to hold free training June 6-7 (June 2, 2016)
Be smart about flooding (June 1, 2016)
Flash flood watch continues until Friday (June 1, 2016)