Tuesday, November 25, 2014
1012 C Street Floresville, TX 78114 Phone: 830-216-4519 Fax: 830-393-3219
Forest Service urges caution over holiday weekend
COLLEGE STATION -- Texas Forest Service is urging Texans to use caution when observing the Memorial Day holiday weekend.
It doesn’t take much to ignite a potentially devastating wildfire. The state is experiencing severe drought conditions. When vegetation is cured, just a small spark or ember can start a wildfire.
Always check with local government or fire department officials to make sure outdoor cooking and campfires are allowed in your county -- and be sure to comply with all restrictions.
Memorial Day Safety Tips
• When barbecuing, never leave the grill unattended. Locate the grill away from your home and any combustible materials.
• Clear away grass, leaves and other debris within a 10-foot perimeter of any campfire or barbecue grill.
• Ensure all campfires and barbecue coals are completely extinguished before leaving.
• Never use gasoline to start a barbecue.
• Have water on hand just in case. If a fire does start, call 911 immediately.
• Remember you are responsible for any fire you start and any associated cost or damage that fire may cause.
You can use Texas Forest Service resources to monitor the current wildfire status and create a wildfire action plan for your home.
Your Opinions and Comments
Be the first to comment on this story!
You must be logged in to post comments:
Other Breaking News
|Dump truck, van collide on S.H. 123 (November 25, 2014)
Alcohol possible factor in crash that killed... (November 24, 2014)
DPS Urges Texans to Practice Safe Driving... (November 24, 2014)
Rainfall report: Nov. 18-24 (November 24, 2014)
Poth wins state volleyball championship (November 22, 2014)
Cornyn Responds to President Obama Ending... (November 21, 2014)
Anti-Defamation League welcomes Obama's immigration... (November 20, 2014)
Texas AG Pledges Court Challenge to Obama's... (November 20, 2014)
Sen. Cornyn: President’s Power Grab Poisons... (November 19, 2014)
Reminder: Reward Increased to $10,000 for... (November 18, 2014)
Grove to let Floresville voters answer eligibility... (November 13, 2014)
Judge Carlos Cascos To Be Secretary Of State Nominee (November 11, 2014)
Unofficial rainfall report for Nov. 3-8 (November 10, 2014)
General Election, Nov. 4, 2014 - unofficial totals (November 4, 2014)
Reward Increased to $10,000 for Most Wanted Fugitive (November 3, 2014)
Wilson County, surrounding area under flash-flood... (November 3, 2014)