Tuesday, October 25, 2016
1012 C Street Floresville, TX 78114 Phone: 830-216-4519 Fax: 830-393-3219
Forest Service urges caution over holiday weekend
COLLEGE STATION -- Texas Forest Service is urging Texans to use caution when observing the Memorial Day holiday weekend.
It doesn’t take much to ignite a potentially devastating wildfire. The state is experiencing severe drought conditions. When vegetation is cured, just a small spark or ember can start a wildfire.
Always check with local government or fire department officials to make sure outdoor cooking and campfires are allowed in your county -- and be sure to comply with all restrictions.
Memorial Day Safety Tips
• When barbecuing, never leave the grill unattended. Locate the grill away from your home and any combustible materials.
• Clear away grass, leaves and other debris within a 10-foot perimeter of any campfire or barbecue grill.
• Ensure all campfires and barbecue coals are completely extinguished before leaving.
• Never use gasoline to start a barbecue.
• Have water on hand just in case. If a fire does start, call 911 immediately.
• Remember you are responsible for any fire you start and any associated cost or damage that fire may cause.
You can use Texas Forest Service resources to monitor the current wildfire status and create a wildfire action plan for your home.
Your Opinions and Comments
Be the first to comment on this story!
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Breaking News Archives
Early voting gets under way (October 25, 2016)
San Antonio PD looking for missing mother, daughter (October 25, 2016)
Important information: Requests for mail-in ballots due Oct. 28 (October 24, 2016)
League of Women Voters of Texas urges Texans to vote (October 21, 2016)
Update: Six murder suspects now in custody (October 20, 2016)
Meet the candidates at TWO town hall-style forums in Floresville (October 19, 2016)
Local rainfall totals (October 17, 2016)
San Antonio seeks help to find missing person (October 14, 2016)
DPS Bolsters School Bus Safety Efforts (October 13, 2016)
Hewitt Police Seek Information About Unidentified Deceased Man in 1978 Murder (October 12, 2016)
Meeting Oct. 11 to plan Protestant Reformation 500th-anniversary events... (October 7, 2016)
Participate in Candidates’ Forum (October 7, 2016)
Stockdale band bus involved in accident (October 7, 2016)
Texas Deploys Disaster Relief Resources For Areas Impacted By Hurricane Matthew (October 6, 2016)
Vehicle fells power pole, rolls over in Floresville (October 4, 2016)