Sunday, July 24, 2016
1012 C Street Floresville, TX 78114 Phone: 830-216-4519 Fax: 830-393-3219
Forest Service urges caution over holiday weekend
COLLEGE STATION -- Texas Forest Service is urging Texans to use caution when observing the Memorial Day holiday weekend.
It doesn’t take much to ignite a potentially devastating wildfire. The state is experiencing severe drought conditions. When vegetation is cured, just a small spark or ember can start a wildfire.
Always check with local government or fire department officials to make sure outdoor cooking and campfires are allowed in your county -- and be sure to comply with all restrictions.
Memorial Day Safety Tips
• When barbecuing, never leave the grill unattended. Locate the grill away from your home and any combustible materials.
• Clear away grass, leaves and other debris within a 10-foot perimeter of any campfire or barbecue grill.
• Ensure all campfires and barbecue coals are completely extinguished before leaving.
• Never use gasoline to start a barbecue.
• Have water on hand just in case. If a fire does start, call 911 immediately.
• Remember you are responsible for any fire you start and any associated cost or damage that fire may cause.
You can use Texas Forest Service resources to monitor the current wildfire status and create a wildfire action plan for your home.
Your Opinions and Comments
Be the first to comment on this story!
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Breaking News Archives
Floresville police seek help in Walmart theft (July 21, 2016)
Elmendorf police seek thief (July 15, 2016)
Oil spill cleanup closes F.M. 81 (July 13, 2016)
Nieto resignation opens Floresville council seat for November (July 12, 2016)
Pray for police officers July 12 in Floresville (July 11, 2016)
Update On Governor Abbott’s Visit To Brooke Army Medical Center (July 11, 2016)
Grass fire consumes two acres, seven bales (July 8, 2016)
Texas Flags Lowered To Half-Staff Statewide In Honor Of Dallas Shooting Victims (July 8, 2016)
Texas lowers flags to honor Dallas police shooting victims (July 8, 2016)
Bad brakes may be at fault for afternoon crash near La Vernia (July 7, 2016)
Floresville road work continues (July 7, 2016)
Take a brick from the old Falls City school building (July 1, 2016)
Vehicle on fire, F.M. 1303 near Floresville (July 1, 2016)