ERCOT issues energy emergency alert
June 27, 2011, 5:43pm
1717 views | Post a comment
The Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) issued an energy emergency alert to utilities across the state at 3:25 p.m. today, asking residential and business customers to begin reducing their electricity use through 7 p.m. this evening. The ERCOT alert is due to record high temperatures and unexpected generation outages in other parts of the state. All CPS Energy plants are operating as scheduled and actually generating above local demand at this time. However, an ERCOT alert could result in statewide load shed that may impact the San Antonio area. ERCOT is the agency responsible for managing the state-wide electric grid.
CPS Energy is asking its customers to join others across the state in conserving energy in effort to limit potential power outages. To conserve energy, customers should:
· Limit electricity usage to only that consumption which is absolutely necessary. Turn off all unnecessary lights, appliances, and electronic equipment.
· Do not use your dishwasher, laundry equipment, hair dryers, coffee makers, pool pump, or other home appliances between the hours of 3 to 7 p.m.
· Close blinds and drapes on windows that get direct sun, set air conditioning thermostats to 80 degrees, and use fans to circulate the air.
· Use microwaves or outdoor grills for cooking to avoid heating the home.
· Businesses should minimize the use of electric lighting and electricity-consuming equipment as much as possible.
· Large consumers of electricity should consider shutting down or reducing non-essential production processes.
· To minimize impact to your electronics from surges in power, purchase a surge protector with the seal of a nationally recognized certification agency like Underwriter Laboratories (UL). Be sure to note wattage capacity and do not overload the surge protector.
|Your Opinions and Comments
Be the first to comment on this story!
You must be logged in to post comments:
|Other Breaking News
|BCSO: Sandbagger targets motorists on U.S. 181 (July 25, 2014)
Update: Adrianna Ximenez has been found (July 19, 2014)
CPS works to restore power (July 18, 2014)
WWII Navy veteran Pedro Devora to receive... (July 18, 2014)
Cruz: Border surge is a direct result of President... (July 17, 2014)
Texas Nationalists holding statewide border... (July 17, 2014)
Truck wraps around Lone Oak utility pole (July 16, 2014)
Reminder: Reward Now $17,500 for Most Wanted... (July 15, 2014)
Cornyn, Cuellar Offer HUMANE Act to Solve... (July 14, 2014)
Germany wins!!!! (July 13, 2014)
Officials charge duo with Rendon slaying (July 11, 2014)
Statement by Gov. Perry in Support of Israel (July 11, 2014)
Woman suffers injuries in midday crash (July 10, 2014)
UPDATE: Head-on crash kills one near Graytown (July 9, 2014)
Bexar deputies probe homicide (July 1, 2014)
Reward Increased to $17,500 for Most Wanted Fugitive (July 1, 2014)