ERCOT issues energy emergency alert
June 27, 2011, 5:43pm
1727 views | Post a comment
The Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) issued an energy emergency alert to utilities across the state at 3:25 p.m. today, asking residential and business customers to begin reducing their electricity use through 7 p.m. this evening. The ERCOT alert is due to record high temperatures and unexpected generation outages in other parts of the state. All CPS Energy plants are operating as scheduled and actually generating above local demand at this time. However, an ERCOT alert could result in statewide load shed that may impact the San Antonio area. ERCOT is the agency responsible for managing the state-wide electric grid.
CPS Energy is asking its customers to join others across the state in conserving energy in effort to limit potential power outages. To conserve energy, customers should:
· Limit electricity usage to only that consumption which is absolutely necessary. Turn off all unnecessary lights, appliances, and electronic equipment.
· Do not use your dishwasher, laundry equipment, hair dryers, coffee makers, pool pump, or other home appliances between the hours of 3 to 7 p.m.
· Close blinds and drapes on windows that get direct sun, set air conditioning thermostats to 80 degrees, and use fans to circulate the air.
· Use microwaves or outdoor grills for cooking to avoid heating the home.
· Businesses should minimize the use of electric lighting and electricity-consuming equipment as much as possible.
· Large consumers of electricity should consider shutting down or reducing non-essential production processes.
· To minimize impact to your electronics from surges in power, purchase a surge protector with the seal of a nationally recognized certification agency like Underwriter Laboratories (UL). Be sure to note wattage capacity and do not overload the surge protector.
|Your Opinions and Comments
Be the first to comment on this story!
You must be logged in to post comments:
|Other Breaking News
|Reminder: Reward Increased to $13,000 for... (August 19, 2014)
Reward offered for info (August 19, 2014)
Multiple departments respond to Elmendorf fire (August 17, 2014)
Press Release from the governor's office (August 17, 2014)
Update: SAPD nabs Exxon robbery suspect (August 14, 2014)
Cuellar asks president for meeting about the... (August 12, 2014)
Floresville police close in on robbery duo (August 6, 2014)
Crime Stoppers: $1,000 reward for info on... (August 5, 2014)
Update: Driver dies in rollover crash near... (August 5, 2014)
Woman dies in Elmendorf ATV accident (August 5, 2014)
Reward Increased to $13,000 for Most Wanted Offender (August 4, 2014)
Updated: Manhunt under way for two suspects... (August 3, 2014)
House passes reimbursement funds, law enforcement... (August 1, 2014)
Immigrants arrive in Karnes City (August 1, 2014)
Update: Motorcycle crash kills Stockdale man (August 1, 2014)