Sunday, December 21, 2014
1012 C Street Floresville, TX 78114 Phone: 830-216-4519 Fax: 830-393-3219
ERCOT issues energy emergency alert
The Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) issued an energy emergency alert to utilities across the state at 3:25 p.m. today, asking residential and business customers to begin reducing their electricity use through 7 p.m. this evening. The ERCOT alert is due to record high temperatures and unexpected generation outages in other parts of the state. All CPS Energy plants are operating as scheduled and actually generating above local demand at this time. However, an ERCOT alert could result in statewide load shed that may impact the San Antonio area. ERCOT is the agency responsible for managing the state-wide electric grid.
CPS Energy is asking its customers to join others across the state in conserving energy in effort to limit potential power outages. To conserve energy, customers should:
· Limit electricity usage to only that consumption which is absolutely necessary. Turn off all unnecessary lights, appliances, and electronic equipment.
· Do not use your dishwasher, laundry equipment, hair dryers, coffee makers, pool pump, or other home appliances between the hours of 3 to 7 p.m.
· Close blinds and drapes on windows that get direct sun, set air conditioning thermostats to 80 degrees, and use fans to circulate the air.
· Use microwaves or outdoor grills for cooking to avoid heating the home.
· Businesses should minimize the use of electric lighting and electricity-consuming equipment as much as possible.
· Large consumers of electricity should consider shutting down or reducing non-essential production processes.
· To minimize impact to your electronics from surges in power, purchase a surge protector with the seal of a nationally recognized certification agency like Underwriter Laboratories (UL). Be sure to note wattage capacity and do not overload the surge protector.
Your Opinions and Comments
Be the first to comment on this story!
You must be logged in to post comments:
Other Breaking News
|City of Floresville Runoff Election unofficial... (December 20, 2014)
647 early ballots cast as Grove, Tejada face... (December 19, 2014)
Burglars hit La Vernia pharmacy (December 19, 2014)
Four trucks in afternoon pileup (December 16, 2014)
Wilson County deputies chasing down identity... (December 16, 2014)
Police cite teen driver after crash (December 15, 2014)
Floresville man dies after being struck by vehicle (December 11, 2014)
DPS offers $7,500 for wanted fugitive (December 9, 2014)
Pedestrian dies in U.S. 181 accident (December 3, 2014)