ERCOT issues energy emergency alert
The Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) issued an energy emergency alert to utilities across the state at 3:25 p.m. today, asking residential and business customers to begin reducing their electricity use through 7 p.m. this evening. The ERCOT alert is due to record high temperatures and unexpected generation outages in other parts of the state. All CPS Energy plants are operating as scheduled and actually generating above local demand at this time. However, an ERCOT alert could result in statewide load shed that may impact the San Antonio area. ERCOT is the agency responsible for managing the state-wide electric grid.
CPS Energy is asking its customers to join others across the state in conserving energy in effort to limit potential power outages. To conserve energy, customers should:
· Limit electricity usage to only that consumption which is absolutely necessary. Turn off all unnecessary lights, appliances, and electronic equipment.
· Do not use your dishwasher, laundry equipment, hair dryers, coffee makers, pool pump, or other home appliances between the hours of 3 to 7 p.m.
· Close blinds and drapes on windows that get direct sun, set air conditioning thermostats to 80 degrees, and use fans to circulate the air.
· Use microwaves or outdoor grills for cooking to avoid heating the home.
· Businesses should minimize the use of electric lighting and electricity-consuming equipment as much as possible.
· Large consumers of electricity should consider shutting down or reducing non-essential production processes.
· To minimize impact to your electronics from surges in power, purchase a surge protector with the seal of a nationally recognized certification agency like Underwriter Laboratories (UL). Be sure to note wattage capacity and do not overload the surge protector.
Your Opinions and Comments
Be the first to comment on this story!
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Breaking News Archives
Election issues under scrutiny in Floresville (August 30, 2016)
AgriLife Extension to offer programs on Zika, mosquito management in SA (August 24, 2016)
Falls City plans early release for Bruni game Aug. 26 (August 23, 2016)
Most Wanted Fugitive Captured in San Antonio (August 23, 2016)
Watch for signal lights at Standish and Fourth streets (August 23, 2016)
Filing deadline Aug. 25 for Floresville council Place 3, today for other offices (August 22, 2016)
Nixon-Smiley CISD closed first day of school (August 22, 2016)
Rain totals for the week (August 22, 2016)
Overnight flooding causes widespread damage in Wilson County; emergency... (August 21, 2016)
Shelter for flood victims open in Floresville (August 21, 2016)
Poth football scrimmage moved (August 18, 2016)
Counterfeit $20 bills spotted in Floresville (August 17, 2016)
DPS Reminds Drivers to Obey Traffic Laws, Watch For Children As New School... (August 17, 2016)
Weather moves Falls City Aug. 18 scrimmage (August 17, 2016)
Johnny Garcia: One of Texas 10 Most Wanted Fugitives (August 16, 2016)
Flash flood watch issued (August 15, 2016)
Local rain reports (August 15, 2016)
Authorities seek information on vehicle theft (August 11, 2016)
Texas Rangers arrest Nixon city manager (August 11, 2016)
What’s going on? Floresville Police Department closed (August 11, 2016)
Floresville Event Center fire-suppression system fails inspection; city... (August 10, 2016)
Venue change for Rancho de las Cabras film (August 10, 2016)
Police arrest suspect in Nixon armed robbery (August 3, 2016)
Prescribed Burn Planned for Government Canyon State Natural Area Wednesday (August 2, 2016)