ERCOT issues energy emergency alert
The Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) issued an energy emergency alert to utilities across the state at 3:25 p.m. today, asking residential and business customers to begin reducing their electricity use through 7 p.m. this evening. The ERCOT alert is due to record high temperatures and unexpected generation outages in other parts of the state. All CPS Energy plants are operating as scheduled and actually generating above local demand at this time. However, an ERCOT alert could result in statewide load shed that may impact the San Antonio area. ERCOT is the agency responsible for managing the state-wide electric grid.
CPS Energy is asking its customers to join others across the state in conserving energy in effort to limit potential power outages. To conserve energy, customers should:
· Limit electricity usage to only that consumption which is absolutely necessary. Turn off all unnecessary lights, appliances, and electronic equipment.
· Do not use your dishwasher, laundry equipment, hair dryers, coffee makers, pool pump, or other home appliances between the hours of 3 to 7 p.m.
· Close blinds and drapes on windows that get direct sun, set air conditioning thermostats to 80 degrees, and use fans to circulate the air.
· Use microwaves or outdoor grills for cooking to avoid heating the home.
· Businesses should minimize the use of electric lighting and electricity-consuming equipment as much as possible.
· Large consumers of electricity should consider shutting down or reducing non-essential production processes.
· To minimize impact to your electronics from surges in power, purchase a surge protector with the seal of a nationally recognized certification agency like Underwriter Laboratories (UL). Be sure to note wattage capacity and do not overload the surge protector.
Your Opinions and Comments
Be the first to comment on this story!
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Breaking News Archives
Adkins man arrested for wife’s 2013 murder (June 23, 2016)
Afternoon crash injures one, closes Business Loop 181 in Floresville (June 23, 2016)
Floresville police seek alleged credit card abuser (June 23, 2016)
Floresville road work on S.H. 97 through July 4 (June 22, 2016)
Authorities seek information on two ATVs theft (June 21, 2016)
Time Warner gets Floresville-area Internet back in action (June 14, 2016)
No serious injuries in Floresville rollover (June 10, 2016)
Giant Floresville gator is dead (June 9, 2016)
Truck stolen from Best Western (June 9, 2016)
Fuel thief strikes again in Floresville (June 8, 2016)
Local rainfall totals (June 6, 2016)
Saturday Update from NWS: Flood warnings for area rivers (June 3, 2016)
Weather prompts change in location for LVISD graduation ceremony (June 3, 2016)
Crime Stoppers to hold free training June 6-7 (June 2, 2016)
Be smart about flooding (June 1, 2016)
Flash flood watch continues until Friday (June 1, 2016)