You’ve been granted free access to this subscribers only article.
Say yes to Mess
How to cook up a mess with kids
• Baking and basic food assembly is the easiest way to branch into messy culinary play. Cut up fruits and vegetables to make fun faces, or simply mix together homemade dough to play with and shape. (See recipe)
• Age is just a number! Allow even the youngest chef to help by pouring ingredients like flour, sugar and eggs into a bowl.
• Start simple. No-bake cookies, smoothies and sandwiches are a great start. If using a cookbook, start with one that has pictures for each instruction.
• Pour on the praise! No matter the outcome, always encourage their effort. Remember, practice makes perfect.
• Spills happen. Take it in stride and simply use the opportunity to teach clean-up. Clean applicable sur faces with Clorox Clean-Up Cleaner with Bleach, especially after using eggs or raw meat.
Edible Peanut Butter Play Dough*
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup powdered milk
1/4 cup honey
Optional texture items: raisins, coconut, crushed graham crackers
Mix the first three ingredients in a large bowl until smooth. Add optional texture items.
*Not for children with peanut allergies.
Your Opinions and Comments
Be the first to comment on this story!
You must be logged in to post a comment.
The 411: Youth Archives
Falls City High School Honor Roll (April 27, 2016)
FHS March students of the month (April 27, 2016)
Jaguar cadets win at Camp Bullis (April 27, 2016)
Luther Thomas Elementary School honor roll (April 27, 2016)
Mighty Tiger Bands sweep up! (April 27, 2016)
Poth X-Bots terminate competition (April 27, 2016)
Republican Women offer scholarships (April 27, 2016)
Taylor accepted to Luther College (April 27, 2016)
Trammell earns award (April 27, 2016)
Apply for youth leadership opportunity (April 20, 2016)
Seguin Art Show open to high school students (April 20, 2016)
4-H’ers compete at Houston show (April 13, 2016)
Danielle Long wins crafts, cake shows (April 13, 2016)
DRT chapter announces 2016 essay contest winners (April 13, 2016)
Flag Day Poster Contest deadline is May 13 (April 13, 2016)
Floresville cadets promote STEM with hands-on lab (April 13, 2016)
Register for youth summit in May (April 13, 2016)
Scholarship video contest open to seniors (April 13, 2016)
Leo Club plans membership drive (April 6, 2016)
National Robotics Week (April 6, 2016)
Scouts attend leadership course (April 6, 2016)
Stockdale Elementary shines at UIL Academic meet (April 6, 2016)