You’ve been granted free access to this subscribers only article.
Say yes to Mess
How to cook up a mess with kids
• Baking and basic food assembly is the easiest way to branch into messy culinary play. Cut up fruits and vegetables to make fun faces, or simply mix together homemade dough to play with and shape. (See recipe)
• Age is just a number! Allow even the youngest chef to help by pouring ingredients like flour, sugar and eggs into a bowl.
• Start simple. No-bake cookies, smoothies and sandwiches are a great start. If using a cookbook, start with one that has pictures for each instruction.
• Pour on the praise! No matter the outcome, always encourage their effort. Remember, practice makes perfect.
• Spills happen. Take it in stride and simply use the opportunity to teach clean-up. Clean applicable sur faces with Clorox Clean-Up Cleaner with Bleach, especially after using eggs or raw meat.
Edible Peanut Butter Play Dough*
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup powdered milk
1/4 cup honey
Optional texture items: raisins, coconut, crushed graham crackers
Mix the first three ingredients in a large bowl until smooth. Add optional texture items.
*Not for children with peanut allergies.
Your Opinions and Comments
Be the first to comment on this story!
You must be logged in to post a comment.
The 411: Youth Archives
Drama Kids summer camp (July 29, 2015)
FISD: registration of new students August 4-6 (July 29, 2015)
Gov. Abbott addresses FFA state convention (July 29, 2015)
Local 4-H’er focuses on fiber (July 29, 2015)
Coastal Bend College sets new student orientation (July 22, 2015)
Dew makes Rensselaer dean’s list (July 22, 2015)
Hernandez graduates from UIW (July 22, 2015)
Register for August Empowerment Camp (July 22, 2015)
River of Life VBS is July 27-31 (July 22, 2015)
SFA names students to honors lists (July 22, 2015)
Woodward is an SFA grad (July 22, 2015)
Annual Boots ’N Shoot event is set (July 15, 2015)
Basketball tourney set (July 15, 2015)
Baylor awards Hill with scholarship (July 15, 2015)
Carpenter named to dean’s list (July 15, 2015)
Evergreen honors three area students (July 15, 2015)
Fall registration under way at Coastal Bend (July 15, 2015)
Free fishing clinics for youth (July 15, 2015)
Kotzur attends youth conference (July 15, 2015)
LV lifters find success at national event (July 15, 2015)
ROTC plans August orientation, drill camp (July 15, 2015)
Stanley makes president’s list (July 15, 2015)
Bell brothers conquer Aviation Challenge (July 8, 2015)
Fish Camp, Prep Days coming soon for LVHS students (July 8, 2015)
Floresville FFA district winners (July 8, 2015)
Floresville FFA teams advance to area (July 8, 2015)
Kosub receives National FFA scholarship (July 8, 2015)
Staudt graduates from UTSA (July 8, 2015)
Texas Lutheran University spring honors list (July 8, 2015)
First Baptist La Vernia VBS (July 1, 2015)
Floresville FFA members receive degrees (July 1, 2015)
Floresville FFA Teams' State Roundup (July 1, 2015)
Grateful American Book Prize list of good reads (July 1, 2015)
La Vernia FFA members receive recognition (July 1, 2015)
La Vernia FFA members receive scholarships (July 1, 2015)
Leadership and friendship in action (July 1, 2015)
Rocket Readers reign in 'Name That Book' competition (July 1, 2015)
TWU names spring grads (July 1, 2015)
UMC Stockdale VBS (July 1, 2015)