You’ve been granted free access to this subscribers only article.
Say yes to Mess
How to cook up a mess with kids
• Baking and basic food assembly is the easiest way to branch into messy culinary play. Cut up fruits and vegetables to make fun faces, or simply mix together homemade dough to play with and shape. (See recipe)
• Age is just a number! Allow even the youngest chef to help by pouring ingredients like flour, sugar and eggs into a bowl.
• Start simple. No-bake cookies, smoothies and sandwiches are a great start. If using a cookbook, start with one that has pictures for each instruction.
• Pour on the praise! No matter the outcome, always encourage their effort. Remember, practice makes perfect.
• Spills happen. Take it in stride and simply use the opportunity to teach clean-up. Clean applicable sur faces with Clorox Clean-Up Cleaner with Bleach, especially after using eggs or raw meat.
Edible Peanut Butter Play Dough*
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup powdered milk
1/4 cup honey
Optional texture items: raisins, coconut, crushed graham crackers
Mix the first three ingredients in a large bowl until smooth. Add optional texture items.
*Not for children with peanut allergies.
Your Opinions and Comments
Be the first to comment on this story!
You must be logged in to post a comment.
The 411: Youth Archives
FHS Air Force Junior ROTC cadets select new unit patch (September 30, 2015)
Meuth: 4-H Livestock State Ambassador (September 30, 2015)
Security Service scholarship (September 30, 2015)
Stockdale High School makes spirit ‘cool’ (September 30, 2015)
Students learn value of character, kindness (September 30, 2015)
FHS September students of the month (September 23, 2015)
FISD students celebrate with their grandparents (September 23, 2015)
Tower Lake 4-H visits veterans (September 23, 2015)
‘Flat Stanley’ goes on vacation (September 23, 2015)
Texas A&M 4-H Club offers scholarship training (September 16, 2015)
Texas A&M University names summer grads (September 16, 2015)
Torres Jr. graduates from Clemson (September 16, 2015)
County 4-H spin club, clinic news (September 9, 2015)
FHS yearbooks are ready (September 9, 2015)
Yendrey-Powell graduates from ASU (September 9, 2015)
Apply for Presidential Scholar opportunity (September 2, 2015)
LV graduate attends freshman orientation (September 2, 2015)
Natural Resource Scholarships (September 2, 2015)
Wilson County 4-H’ers receive scholarships (September 2, 2015)