Extreme wildfire danger continues statewide
Texas Department of Public Safety
September 6, 2011, 10:59am
1664 views | Post a comment
AUSTIN -- Wildfires remain an extreme danger across Texas. When fire breaks out near your community, it is critical to monitor media and to obey evacuation orders.
Eighty percent of wildfires occur within two miles of residential neighborhoods and suburbs. When wildfires are moving at extreme speeds, they cannot be controlled. When advised to evacuate, do so immediately. Choose a route away from the fire hazard and be alert to changes in the speed and direction of fire and smoke.
When weather conditions make wildfires more likely, prepare by taking the following precautions:
· Keep firefighting tools handy, such as: ladder long enough to reach the roof, shovel, rake and buckets.
· Place connected garden hoses on all sides of the house for emergency use.
· Know all emergency exits from your house.
· Learn all routes leading out of your neighborhood.
As fires actually approach, take the following actions:
· Park your car facing the direction of escape.
· Shut off gas at the meter. Only a qualified professional can safely turn the gas back on.
· Turn off propane tanks.
· Place combustible patio furniture inside.
· Seal vents with pre-cut plywood or commercial seals.
· Wet down or remove shrubs within 15 feet of your residence.
· Place lawn sprinklers on roof and near above-ground fuel tanks. Wet down the roof.
· Close windows, vents, doors, blinds and non combustible window coverings. Remove flammable drapes and curtains.
· Close interior doors and windows to prevent drafts.
For more information on fire danger and advisories, see the Texas Forest Service Website at: http://texasforestservice.tamu.edu.
|Your Opinions and Comments
Be the first to comment on this story!
You must be logged in to post comments:
|Other Breaking News
|Businesses to Floresville council: Follow... (August 28, 2014)
Blaze scorches 120 acres, burns outbuildings (August 27, 2014)
Semi rollover stops Floresville traffic (August 27, 2014)
Services set for Elmendorf’s Chief Pimentel (August 27, 2014)
Elmendorf chief dies in the line of duty (August 23, 2014)
DPS Reminds Drivers to Watch for Children... (August 22, 2014)
Reminder: Reward Increased to $13,000 for... (August 19, 2014)
Reward offered for info (August 19, 2014)
Multiple departments respond to Elmendorf fire (August 17, 2014)
Press Release from the governor's office (August 17, 2014)
Update: SAPD nabs Exxon robbery suspect (August 14, 2014)
Cuellar asks president for meeting about the... (August 12, 2014)
Floresville police close in on robbery duo (August 6, 2014)
Crime Stoppers: $1,000 reward for info on... (August 5, 2014)
Update: Driver dies in rollover crash near... (August 5, 2014)
Woman dies in Elmendorf ATV accident (August 5, 2014)
Reward Increased to $13,000 for Most Wanted Offender (August 4, 2014)
Updated: Manhunt under way for two suspects... (August 3, 2014)
House passes reimbursement funds, law enforcement... (August 1, 2014)
Immigrants arrive in Karnes City (August 1, 2014)
Update: Motorcycle crash kills Stockdale man (August 1, 2014)