REMEMBERING 9-11: 9/11 Facts
• Each of the planes that crashed
into the World Trade Center had a
jet fuel capacity of nearly 24,000
• All civilian air traffic was banned
from landing on U.S. soil for two
• Among the fatalities were 346
New York City Fire Department
firefighters, 23 New York City
Police Department officers, and 37
Port Authority Police Department
• Cantor Fitzgerald L.P., an
investment bank on the 101st-
105th floors of One World Trade
Center, lost more employees than
any other firm: 658.
• Approximately 16,000 people
were below the impact zones in
the World Trade Center at the time
of the attacks, most of whom
evacuated before the towers
• 7 WTC, 6 WTC, 5 WTC, 4 WTC the
WTC Marriott Hotel (3 WTC) and St.
Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church
were also destroyed in the attacks.
• Mohamed Atta’s luggage, which
did not make it onto American
Airlines Flight 11, contained a will
and 757/767 flight manuals.
• Unlike many stereotypes of
hijackers or terrorists, most of the
attackers were educated and
came from well-to-do
• The New York Stock Exchange, the
American Stock Exchange and
NASDAQ did not open on
September 11 and remained
closed until September 17.
• 2,880 victim’s compensation
awards were issued to the families
of those killed.