You’ve been granted free access to this subscribers only article.
Cookbook: Herb Roasted Turkey with Pan Gravy
Prep: 15 minutes
Roast: 3 hours
Cook: 10 minutes
Makes: 12 servings
1 turkey (12 to 14 pounds)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 carton (26 ounces) Swanson Chicken Stock (Regular or Unsalted) (about 3 1/4 cups)
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon dried basil leaves, crushed
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1. Remove giblets and neck from turkey cavity. Rinse turkey with cold water and pat dry with paper towel. Tie ends of drumsticks together.
2. Place turkey, breast-side up, on rack in roasting pan. Brush turkey with oil. Insert meat thermometer into thickest part of meat, not touching bone.
3. Stir stock, lemon juice, basil, thyme and black pepper in large bowl. Reserve 1 3/4 cups stock mixture for the gravy. Pour remaining stock mixture over turkey.
4. Roast at 325∞F for 3 hours, or until thermometer reads 165∞F, basting occasionally with pan drippings. Begin checking for doneness after 2 1/2 hours roasting time.
5. Remove turkey from pan, cover and keep warm. Spoon off any fat and pour off all but 1 1/2 cups pan drippings.
6. Stir reserved stock mixture and flour in medium bowl until the mixture is smooth. Add flour mixture to the pan. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture boils and thickens, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan. Serve gravy with turkey.
Your Opinions and Comments
Be the first to comment on this story!
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Special Section Archives
Senior Living: Age gauge (May 18, 2016)
Senior Living: Aging with vitality, grace, and confidence (May 18, 2016)
Senior Living: An option for unwanted life insurance (May 18, 2016)
Senior Living: Celebrate senior health, fitness May 25 (May 18, 2016)
Senior Living: Centenarian sets new world record (May 18, 2016)
Senior Living: Older Americans Month: May 2016 (May 18, 2016)
Senior Living: Try this hearty heart-healthy dish (May 18, 2016)
Senior Living: Weed out gardening injuries (May 18, 2016)