Sunday, October 4, 2015
1012 C Street  •  Floresville, TX 78114  •  Phone: 830-216-4519  •  Fax: 830-393-3219  • 

WCN Site Search

Lost & Found

Lost: Border Collie, black and light brown, 9 months old, wearing a green collar, last seen Sept. 22 near CR 427 in Poth. If found call 210-324-1208.
Found: 2 brindle cows, on Sept. 12, at the end of La Gura Rd. in South Bexar County, located between South Loop 1604 and the San Antonio River, Gillett Rd. on east and Schultz Rd. on the west. Call after 8 p.m., 210-310-9206.
Found: Female puppy, F.M. 539 area, La Vernia, must describe to claim. 501-766-7711.
More Lost & Found ads ›

Help Wanted

ON-CALL CRISIS POOL WORKERS NEEDED. Part-time positions are available for after hours “on-call” crisis workers to respond to mental health crisis for Wilson and Karnes Counties. Duties include crisis interventions, assessments, referrals to stabilization services, and referrals for involuntary treatment services according to the Texas Mental Health Laws. You must have at least a Bachelor’s Degree in psychology, sociology, social work, nursing, etc. On-call hours are from 5 p.m.-8 a.m. weekdays, weekends and holidays vary. If selected, you must attend required training and must be able to report to designated safe sites within 1 hour of request for assessment. Compensation is at a rate of $200 per week plus $100 per completed and submitted crisis assessment, and mileage. If interested call Camino Real Community Services, 210-357-0359.
Journeyman electrician and apprentice electrician needed, experience necessary. Call Sralla Electric at 210-885-4101.
More Help Wanted ads ›

Featured Videos

Video Vault ›
You’ve been granted free access to this subscribers only article.

Agriculture Today

Warm up safely — tips for checking your heating system

E-Mail this Story to a Friend
Print this Story
December 21, 2011 | 2,766 views | Post a comment

With this fall’s first appearance of cold temperatures, your utility company reminds customers to get their heating systems ready for winter. The utility recommends having a licensed, insured contractor clean and inspect heating systems annually to ensure maximum efficiency and to avoid the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning or fire.

A dirty and faulty heating system can lead to those life-threatening risks. According to the San Antonio Fire Department, faulty heating systems resulted in 70 local incidents of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning during a six-month period from October 2010 through March 2011. Eleven of those cases required Emergency Medical Services transport.

The following safety tips may help keep you and your family safe this winter:

•Follow manufacturer’s instructions with all heating appliances.

•Have heating appliances installed, serviced, and repaired by qualified professionals.

•Keep chimney flues and vents for all heating appliances clean and in good condition.

•Keep areas around furnaces and water heaters clean and free of flammable materials.

•Check the flame on natural gas appliances -- it should be blue. If not, have a service technician check the appliance.

•Always leave a window open 1 to 2 inches in the room where an unvented natural gas space heater is being used.

•Never use the kitchen range as a space heater. This can damage the range and produce carbon monoxide.

•Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.

Install a carbon monoxide detector at eye level on every floor of the structure where it can easily be seen and heard. Change the batteries every six months and follow manufacturer’s recommendations on when to replace the detector.

•Carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms mimic the flu, i.e. headaches, nausea, vomiting, and fatigue. If carbon monoxide poisoning is suspected, leave the building and seek medical attention immediately.

For more information, visit the National Fire Protection Association website,

Your Opinions and Comments

Be the first to comment on this story!

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Not a subscriber?
Subscriber, but no password?
Forgot password?

Agriculture Today Archives

Coupons ag-right
auto chooserHeavenly Touch homeDrama KidsTriple R DC ExpertsVoncille Bielefeld homeAllstate & McBride Realty

  Copyright © 2007-2015 Wilson County News. All rights reserved. Web development by Drewa Designs.