Select a trustworthy travel agent to book your spring vacation
The author of this entry is responsible for this content, which is not edited by the Wilson County News or wilsoncountynews.com.
Better Business BureauFebruary 21, 2012 | 2,920 views | Post a comment
BBB tips for selecting a trustworthy travel agent
AUSTIN, Texas -- Spring is on the way which means many families and students will be looking to take a quick vacation during spring break. Whether jetting to Cancun or taking off for Disneyland, Better Business Bureau advises consumers to make travel arrangements through trustworthy travel agencies.
Booking a vacation independently can be a hassle, and travel agencies are happy to shoulder the burden. However, choosing the wrong company could lead to frustration and a wrecked vacation.
Last year, BBB received more than 7,000 complaints nationally against travel agencies and bureaus. Most complaints allege consumers felt misled by travel offers that failed to deliver on promises, or worse, paid money for travel arrangements that were never made.
Follow these tips from your BBB to ensure your trip will be memorable for all the right reasons:
· Use a travel company you trust. Ask family and friends to recommend a company they’ve used and go to bbb.org to see the company’s BBB Business Review. You can also utilize BBB Member Pages to find a BBB Accredited Business to work with.
· Get all vacation details in writing. Get all the details of your vacation in writing, including travel itineraries and booking confirmations. Get a copy of the company’s cancellation and refund policies, and ask questions.
· Verify reservations. Get the contact information for the airlines, car rental companies and hotels you’ll be using, and call to confirm all arrangements.
· Consider travel insurance. Travel insurance is designed to cover the times things go wrong, such as a trip cancellation or medical emergency. Before purchasing any type of travelers insurance check your homeowner’s or medical insurance policies to see what is already covered.
· Pay with a credit card. Paying with a credit card gives you more protections should something go wrong with the travel reservation.
· Be on the alert for travel scams. Unsolicited mail, email and faxes for deeply discounted travel packages could leave you out a vacation and money if you’re not careful.
To check the reliability of a company and find trustworthy businesses, visit bbb.org.
About Better Business Bureau:
BBB's mission is to be the leader in advancing marketplace trust. BBB accomplishes this mission by creating a community of trustworthy businesses, setting standards for marketplace trust, encouraging and supporting best practices, celebrating marketplace role models and denouncing substandard marketplace behavior.
Businesses that earn BBB Accreditation contractually agree and adhere to the organization's high standards of ethical business behavior. BBB is the preeminent resource to turn to for objective, unbiased information on businesses and charities.
Contact BBB serving Central, Coastal, Southwest Texas and the Permian Basin at (512) 445-4748.