Tuesday, October 13, 2015
1012 C Street  •  Floresville, TX 78114  •  Phone: 830-216-4519  •  Fax: 830-393-3219  • 

WCN Site Search

Lost & Found

Lost: Chihuahua, black, tan, and white male, "Spy," very small, off F.M. 775, across from the Woodlands on Sept. 26, he is missed dearly. Call 830-391-5055.

VideoLost/stolen: Shih Tzu named Newton, last seen Sept. 29, from outside our house located by Emmy's. If any information call 830-660-8121 or 830-660-9222.
Found: Ring during Elmendorf's National Night Out on Tues., Oct. 6 evening. Call Chief Pena at 210-635-8710.
More Lost & Found ads ›

Help Wanted

Caregivers needed. Call 830-431-2389. 
Skilled painters, carpenters, stucco applicators needed. Call 830-534-3792.
More Help Wanted ads ›

Featured Videos

Video Vault ›
You’ve been granted free access to this subscribers only article.

South Texas Living

Reminiscing: Floresville Opry helps state Historical Marker Program

Reminiscing: Floresville Opry helps state Historical Marker Program
The De La Zerda Cemetery historical marker

E-Mail this Story to a Friend
Print this Story
April 25, 2012
Post a comment

Every day Wilson County historians uncover, document, and preserve the rich, colorful history in Wilson County. Wilson County and the area along the Alamo-La Bahia Corridor is a land of fabulous history. The land lies beside the beautiful San Antonio River and along the Cibolo Creek, and it has seen human occupation for many years. The Spanish occupied it for a while, then Mexico. After a hard-fought revolution in 1836, Texas became a Republic, and now is one of the United States.

Wilson County was created in 1860. Sutherland Springs was the first county seat and had the first courthouse. The land stretches over rolling countrysides, and cattle and horse ranches, bunches of tall green trees, and farms with lush fields can be seen in Wilson County. Old Spanish ranchos, as old as Spanish Texas, stand before us as a testament of rich Spanish heritage, including the Rancho de las Cabras near Floresville.

The Alamo-La Bahia Road, so steeped in history with its time-worn paths, linked the area to Goliad, San Antonio, and Mexico. Many other important routes exist in Wilson County.

Remnants of old communities, four municipalities, and many cemeteries mark Wilson County’s landscape. The Wilson County Courthouse rests in Floresville, the county seat of Wilson County. Grand houses such as the Polley Mansion, located on the Sutherland Springs to Seguin Road, the King Lorenz house in Stockdale, and the White House Cafe in Floresville are just a few sites that have Texas State Historical Markers. Historical markers will tell us today and our children tomorrow of this elaborate history. So much more history needs to be preserved, and markers are expensive.

Recently, Viola Henke, chairman of the Floresville Opry, expressed her interest in the Wilson County Historical Society’s Texas State Historical Marker Program. It was approved by the society’s members to use profit from the Floresville Opry to help pay for replacement historic markers which have been stolen or vandalized. She also expressed a desire to help pay for future historical markers that the historians are working toward. Local historians are deeply grateful to the people who work so hard to make the Floresville Opry successful.

Your Opinions and Comments

Be the first to comment on this story!

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Not a subscriber?
Subscriber, but no password?
Forgot password?

South Texas Living Archives