Saturday, December 20, 2014
1012 C Street Floresville, TX 78114 Phone: 830-216-4519 Fax: 830-393-3219
Texas Forest Service urges caution over holiday weekend
COLLEGE STATION, Texas -- Texans are urged to use caution while celebrating the upcoming Memorial Day holiday weekend -- and when doing any outdoor activity that can cause a spark.
Although many areas have received significant rainfall, much of the state is experiencing some level of drought, according to the U.S. Drought Monitor.
On Memorial Day weekend last year, local fire departments and Texas Forest Service responded to 363 fires that burned almost 18,000 acres. Almost half of those fires were determined to have started by preventable causes such as campfires or debris burning. Eighteen homes and 35 other structures were destroyed over the holiday weekend.
It doesn’t take much to ignite a potentially devastating wildfire. Always check with local government or fire department officials to make sure outdoor cooking and campfires are allowed in your county -- and be sure to comply with all restrictions.
Memorial Day Safety Tips:
• When barbecuing, never leave a grill unattended. Locate the grill away from your home and any combustible materials.
• Clear away grass, leaves and other debris within a 10-foot perimeter of any campfire or barbecue grill.
• Ensure all campfires and barbecue coals are completely extinguished before leaving.
• Never use gasoline to start a barbecue.
• Have water on hand just in case. If a fire does start, call 911 immediately.
• Remember you are responsible for any fire you start and any associated cost or damage that fire may cause.
You can use Texas Forest Service resources to create a wildfire action plan for your home.
SOURCE: Texas Forest Service
Your Opinions and Comments
Be the first to comment on this story!
You must be logged in to post comments:
Other Breaking News
|647 early ballots cast as Grove, Tejada face... (December 19, 2014)
Burglars hit La Vernia pharmacy (December 19, 2014)
City of Floresville Runoff Election unofficial... (December 19, 2014)
Four trucks in afternoon pileup (December 16, 2014)
Wilson County deputies chasing down identity... (December 16, 2014)
Police cite teen driver after crash (December 15, 2014)
Floresville man dies after being struck by vehicle (December 11, 2014)
DPS offers $7,500 for wanted fugitive (December 9, 2014)
Pedestrian dies in U.S. 181 accident (December 3, 2014)