You’ve been granted free access to this subscribers only article.
Blessed Sacrament Church observes centennial
San Antonio Archbishop Gustavo García-Siller concelebrates a special Mass May 20 in Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church in Poth, commemorating the parish’s 100th anniversary.
POTH -- The parishioners of Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church in Poth are celebrating their church’s 100th anniversary. To mark the centennial of the founding of the parish, a special Mass was celebrated May 20 by San Antonio Archbishop Gustavo Garc’a-Siller, who joined parishioners for the event.
Concelebrating the Mass were the Rev. Gregory Szewczyk, Blessed Sacrament’s pastor; Bishop Emeritus John Yanta of Amarillo; Monsignor John Wagner -- recognized by the archbishop as a native son of Poth, who has devoted his life to teaching the Gospel; the Rev. Boguslaw Loska, vice provincial of the Salvatorian Order; the Rev. Gregory Sawicki; the Rev. Luke Kleczka, and other visiting priests. Deacon Alan Crosby of Blessed Sacrament served as deacon of the Mass.
Local clergy members and members of religious congregations were among the more than 500 in attendance, including the Rev. Andrzej Waszczenko, pastor of St. Ann Catholic Church in Kosciusko; the Rev. Samuel Heitkamp, incoming pastor of St. Thomas the Apostle in Canyon Lake; Sister Christine Stavinoha; and members of the Seraphic Franciscan Sisters.
Centennial events began with a balloon rosary before the Mass. A reception in the Poth VFW Hall, including a barbecue meal, followed the Mass. A mariachi band added a cultural element to the celebration.
Poth, established in 1886 on the San Antonio-Aransas Pass Railroad, was settled principally by German families, according to a history of the community shared during the parish celebration.
Men in the Poth vicinity held a meeting in March 1910 to discuss establishing a Catholic parish. Karl Billimek and William Eckel subscribed $1,400, and a committee was founded, consisting of Stephen Schwertlich, Andrew Reinhard, and John Bednarz. The men met with Bishop John A. Forest in April 1910, who granted permission to build a church in Poth.
A.H. Poth, for whom the city was named, donated 3 acres for the church. August Raabe donated an acre for a cemetery. Construction of the church began April 20, 1911; by mid-June that year, a wood frame church had been completed at a cost of $2,492. Dedication ceremonies were held Jan. 12, 1912.
The Rev. John Heinzelmeier was the first parish priest of Blessed Sacrament in Poth.
Through the years, the church, parish grounds, and facilities grew and improvements were made, including the addition of wings to the church. In 1944, fund-raising for a new church began. Groundbreaking for the new church took place in October 1958; the church was dedicated May 24, 1959. The parish priest at the time was the Rev. Armand Florizone.
The altar and baptismal font in Blessed Sacrament church are made of Italian marble. The stained-glass window depicting the Last Supper over the entrance of the church was made in Holland.
Compiled from information provided by Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church office and from various sources.
A BRIEF HISTORY
•Church built in 1911 for $2,492
•Dedicated in January 1912
•Stations of the Cross, donated by St. Mary’s in Wiley, Texas, blessed and erected Nov. 4, 1912
•Bell, named St. John the Baptist, blessed Nov. 4, 1912
•Wings added to the church, 1923
•Blessed Sacrament School built in 1925, staffed by Felician Sisters
•Electric lights added to church, rectory, and school, 1926
•Gas heaters added to church, 1934
•School burns down Sept. 5, 1942
•Old rectory is sold, 1937; new one is built
•Youth center erected, 1957
•Grotto, built in 1933, is disassembled in 1966 to make way for present rectory
•Fund-raising for new church begins, 1944
•Groundbreaking Oct. 19, 1958, for present-day church
•Present-day church is dedicated May 24, 1959
Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church
Pastor: Rev. Gregory Szewczyk, S.D.S.
Masses: Mon.-Fri., 6:30 p.m.; Sat., 5:30 p.m.; Sun., 7:30 and 9:30 a.m.
408 W. Westmeyer in Poth 830-484-3302 or visit www.blessedsacramentpoth.org
Photos for this article contributed by: Photographs by Jim, www.photographsbyjim.com
Your Opinions and Comments
Be the first to comment on this story!
You must be logged in to post a comment.
South Texas Living Archives
Austin’s oldest museum offers daily tours (June 22, 2016)
Dine out with The ROCK (June 22, 2016)
Esparza reunion planned for July 9 (June 22, 2016)
Free guided hikes at Enchanted Rock (June 22, 2016)
Getting your hands dirty — in the garden with Iris Seale (June 22, 2016)
Men: Pay attention to your health (June 22, 2016)
Movies in the Park (June 22, 2016)
New Pioneer Playroom offers hands-on learning (June 22, 2016)
Old newspaper makes memories ‘Local and Personal’ (June 22, 2016)
Poth church to celebrate 90 years (June 22, 2016)
See Legacy of Leadership exhibit in Washington (June 22, 2016)
SS museum plans meeting (June 22, 2016)
Tips for a safe trip to the beach (June 22, 2016)
Wall pocket (June 22, 2016)
Area seniors invited to Bingo Tuesdays (June 15, 2016)
Art Walk America contest deadline is June 23 (June 15, 2016)
Attend picnic at Dewees-Remschel House June 15 (June 15, 2016)
DRT receives honors at state convention (June 15, 2016)
Hear patriotic tunes in Pleasanton (June 15, 2016)
It’s gone! The Spot is gone! (June 15, 2016)
Join WASP for summer season (June 15, 2016)
Jubilee offers fun for the whole family (June 15, 2016)
Martinez Social Club keeps you dancing (June 15, 2016)
Meet 2016 Stockdale Watermelon Jubilee, rodeo court candidates (June 15, 2016)
Moms walking group invites members (June 15, 2016)
Napoli Glass (June 15, 2016)
Oak Hills Church plans yard sale (June 15, 2016)
Ramirezes celebrate golden anniversary (June 15, 2016)
See free movies at Arcadia (June 15, 2016)
Sutherland Springs seeks volunteers (June 15, 2016)
Vendors needed for Freedom Fest (June 15, 2016)
Witness Summer Solstice performance (June 15, 2016)
Add amphibians to your landscaping (June 8, 2016)
Enjoy free summer movies at Rolling Oaks Mall (June 8, 2016)
Enjoy Pilgrim Opry (June 8, 2016)
Gene Watson in Kerrville (June 8, 2016)
Hear ‘Bach to Luckenbach’ (June 8, 2016)
Hummel plate (June 8, 2016)
June dances in Geronimo (June 8, 2016)
Meet for Play Dates in the library (June 8, 2016)
OLPH names 2016 Mother of the Year, May Queen (June 8, 2016)
Prepare to enter cool creation in Ice Cream Freeze-off (June 8, 2016)
Remember Flag Day June 14 (June 8, 2016)
Running group plans June 11 run (June 8, 2016)
St. Ann Teen ACTS plan 5K Color Run (June 8, 2016)
Take Dad out to FatherFest June 19 (June 8, 2016)
The old Wagenfuehr house in Bleu Casa Village (June 8, 2016)
Tracking an icon in the ‘horned lizard capital of Texas’ (June 8, 2016)
Building communities (June 1, 2016)
Cowboy penknife (June 1, 2016)
Garcia receives Linda West Scholarship (June 1, 2016)
Garner State Park celebrates 75 years (June 1, 2016)
Libraries prepare to launch ‘Reading Is So Delicious!’ summer program (June 1, 2016)
Lutheran Church windows relocated for a little TLC (June 1, 2016)
St. Helena Men’s Club plans picnic (June 1, 2016)
Stockdale’s early beginnings (June 1, 2016)
The progression of the classic ‘koozie’ (June 1, 2016)