Sunday, December 21, 2014
1012 C Street Floresville, TX 78114 Phone: 830-216-4519 Fax: 830-393-3219
Avoid online scammers on Cyber Monday
Better Business Bureau
November 26, 2012, 7:53am 1,111 views | Post a comment
AUSTIN, Texas -- Today is Cyber Monday, one of the busiest online shopping days of the year. In a study released by shop.org, online holiday sales for 2012 are expected to increase 12 percent compared to last year.
Shopping online means avoiding the crowds, but it also opens buyers up to attacks from scammers and hackers. Better Business Bureau offers these online shopping tips to help fight unscrupulous online retailers:
· Shop on trustworthy websites. Check a seller's reputation and record for customer satisfaction at bbb.org. And look for the “s” in https:// in the address box to ensure you’re shopping on a secure website.
· Beware of “too good to be true” deals. Beware of offers on websites and in unsolicited emails offering extremely low prices on hard-to-get items. Don’t be afraid to pass up a "deal."
· Beware of phishing. If you receive an email claiming problems with an order that asks for personal information or financial information, call the contact number on the website to confirm that there really is a problem with the transaction.
· Pay with a credit card. Under federal law, charges made on a credit card can be disputed if the item is never received. Many card issuers also have "zero liability" policies under which the card holder pays nothing if someone steals the credit card number and uses it.
· Review the return policy. A return policy should be clearly listed on the company’s website. Be sure to read all conditions associated with the return policy, specifically how long you have to return an item.
· Verify shipping and delivery dates. Pay close attention to the estimated delivery time to ensure you will get your item before Christmas. Federal law requires that orders made online be shipped by the date promised, however, if no delivery time is stated, stores have up to 30 days to get the item to you.
· Keep documentation of your order. After completing the online order process, there should be a final confirmation page or an email confirmation. Print and save any confirmations for future reference.
Your Opinions and Comments
Be the first to comment on this story!
You must be logged in to post comments:
Other Breaking News
|City of Floresville Runoff Election unofficial... (December 20, 2014)
647 early ballots cast as Grove, Tejada face... (December 19, 2014)
Burglars hit La Vernia pharmacy (December 19, 2014)
Four trucks in afternoon pileup (December 16, 2014)
Wilson County deputies chasing down identity... (December 16, 2014)
Police cite teen driver after crash (December 15, 2014)
Floresville man dies after being struck by vehicle (December 11, 2014)
DPS offers $7,500 for wanted fugitive (December 9, 2014)
Pedestrian dies in U.S. 181 accident (December 3, 2014)