Tuesday, December 1, 2015
1012 C Street Floresville, TX 78114 Phone: 830-216-4519 Fax: 830-393-3219
Avoid online scammers on Cyber Monday
Better Business BureauNovember 26, 2012, 7:53am 1,232 views | Post a comment
AUSTIN, Texas -- Today is Cyber Monday, one of the busiest online shopping days of the year. In a study released by shop.org, online holiday sales for 2012 are expected to increase 12 percent compared to last year.
Shopping online means avoiding the crowds, but it also opens buyers up to attacks from scammers and hackers. Better Business Bureau offers these online shopping tips to help fight unscrupulous online retailers:
· Shop on trustworthy websites. Check a seller's reputation and record for customer satisfaction at bbb.org. And look for the “s” in https:// in the address box to ensure you’re shopping on a secure website.
· Beware of “too good to be true” deals. Beware of offers on websites and in unsolicited emails offering extremely low prices on hard-to-get items. Don’t be afraid to pass up a "deal."
· Beware of phishing. If you receive an email claiming problems with an order that asks for personal information or financial information, call the contact number on the website to confirm that there really is a problem with the transaction.
· Pay with a credit card. Under federal law, charges made on a credit card can be disputed if the item is never received. Many card issuers also have "zero liability" policies under which the card holder pays nothing if someone steals the credit card number and uses it.
· Review the return policy. A return policy should be clearly listed on the company’s website. Be sure to read all conditions associated with the return policy, specifically how long you have to return an item.
· Verify shipping and delivery dates. Pay close attention to the estimated delivery time to ensure you will get your item before Christmas. Federal law requires that orders made online be shipped by the date promised, however, if no delivery time is stated, stores have up to 30 days to get the item to you.
· Keep documentation of your order. After completing the online order process, there should be a final confirmation page or an email confirmation. Print and save any confirmations for future reference.
Your Opinions and Comments
Be the first to comment on this story!
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Breaking News Archives
Unofficial rainfall reports: Nov. 23-30 (November 30, 2015)
Chaplin leaving Falls City ISD (November 25, 2015)
#FloresvilleStrong T-shirts are in (November 16, 2015)
Gov. Abbott To Refuse Syrian Refugees Relocating To Texas (November 16, 2015)
Falls City antique farm equipment demo canceled (November 13, 2015)
Share your favorite Christmas memory (November 13, 2015)
Student organizes community prayer Nov. 8 (November 7, 2015)
La Vernia man dies in overnight crash (November 6, 2015)
Floresville ISD: High school students' return delayed to Nov. 9 (November 4, 2015)
Election Results (November 3, 2015)
UPDATE: Medical examiner IDs driver killed in St. Hedwig crash (November 3, 2015)
Rainfall totals for recent rains (November 2, 2015)
Storm sidelines Wilson County Appraisal District (November 2, 2015)
UPDATE: Floresville High School students to return Nov. 6 (November 1, 2015)