Friday, February 12, 2016
1012 C Street  •  Floresville, TX 78114  •  Phone: 830-216-4519  •  Fax: 830-393-3219  • 

WCN Site Search

Preview the Paper Preview the Paper

Preview this week's Paper
A limited number of pages are displayed in this preview.
Preview this Week’s Issue ›
Subscribe Today ›

Lost & Found

VideoLost dog! Two weeks ago our dog went missing. Black lab mix. About 2 years old. He has a scar on his belly and a black tongue. Please call 8305835601

VideoMissing: Male Boxer, since evening of Jan. 4, Hwy. 97 West, rear of Promised Land Creamery, $500 REWARD. Call 830-391-2240 with information.
Bear, please come home! Missing since October 22, 2014, black Manx cat (no tail), shy. Reward! Help him find his way home. 210-635-7560.
More Lost & Found ads ›

Help Wanted

Seeking individual to work in a local child-care center, paid holidays, etc., must be high school grad or GED. Apply in person at Cubs Country Childcare, 212 FM 1346 in La Vernia.
Hiring seasonal workers at Braunig and Calaveras Lake. Apply within or call 210-635-8289.
More Help Wanted ads ›

Featured Videos

Video Vault ›
You’ve been granted free access to this subscribers only article.

Agriculture Today

Drought assistance available

Drought assistance available

E-Mail this Story to a Friend
Print this Story
January 23, 2013
Post a comment

U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Texas Farm Service Agency Acting Executive Director James B. Douglass announced Jan. 14 that 207 counties in Texas were declared a disaster on Jan. 9, due to drought and heat, using the new, streamlined Secretarial Disaster Designation process. Under this designation, producers with operations in any of the 157 primary disaster counties or 50 contiguous disaster counties are eligible to apply for low-interest emergency loans.

Karnes County was designated as a primary disaster county, while Atascosa, Bexar, Gonzales, and Wilson counties were designated as contiguous disaster counties.

This announcement follows the Jan. 9 announcement by U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack, when he designated 597 counties in 14 states as primary natural disaster areas due to drought and heat, making all qualified farm operators in the areas eligible for low-interest emergency loans. These are the first disaster designations made by the USDA in 2013.

In 2012, the USDA designated 2,245 counties in 39 states as disaster areas due to drought, or 71 percent of the United States.

The streamlined disaster designation process issues a drought disaster declaration when a county has experienced a drought intensity value of at least a D2 (severe drought) level for eight consecutive weeks based on the U.S. Drought Monitor during the crop year.

Emergency loans help producers recover from production and physical losses due to drought, flooding, and other natural disasters or quarantine.

Producers have eight months from the date of the declaration to apply for emergency loan assistance.

Producers can borrow up to 100 percent of actual production or physical losses, to a maximum amount of $500,000. The current emergency loan interest rate is 2.25 percent.

Producers with operations in counties that did not receive a disaster designation could be eligible for emergency loan assistance if they suffered at least a 30 percent loss in crop production or a physical loss to livestock, livestock products, real estate, or chattel property.

For more information about emergency loans, contact the Wilson County Farm Service Agency located at 1106 10th St. (U.S. 181) in Floresville, call 830-393-3411, or visit

Drought disaster assistance

The USDA Farm Service Agency has declared 207 counties in Texas disaster areas due to the extreme drought. As a result of this designation, ranchers and farmers are eligible to apply with the Farm Service Agency for assistance due to losses.

As part of the assistance program, those affected can apply for crop loss, livestock loss, and damaged farm property loss.

Under crop loss, disaster programs include:

•Noninsured Crop Disaster Assistance Program (NAP) to cover production losses for crops when federal insurance is not available.

•Supplemental Revenue Assistance Payments (SURE) program for crop losses in counties declared a disaster by the Secretary of Agriculture.

•Tree Assistance Program (TAP) for tree losses.

Four disaster programs are available under livestock loss, including:

•Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honeybees, and Farm-Raised Fish Program (ELAP) for livestock not covered by Livestock Indemnity Program, for grazing losses not covered by Livestock Forage Disaster Program, for farm-raised fish and honeybee death, and for feed losses.

•Livestock Forage Disaster Program (LFP) for grazing losses.

•Livestock Indemnity Program (LIP) for livestock deaths.

•Emergency Haying and Grazing of Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) acreage may be authorized to provide relief to livestock producers in areas affected by a severe drought or similar natural disaster.

For damaged farm property, those affected may apply for the Emergency Conservation Program, which helps rehabilitate farmland damaged by natural disasters and for carrying out emergency water conservation measures.

For more information on the disaster program, visit http:/

Your Opinions and Comments

Be the first to comment on this story!

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Not a subscriber?
Subscriber, but no password?
Forgot password?

Agriculture Today Archives

Coupons ag-right
East Central Driving SchoolVoncille Bielefeld homeHeavenly Touch homeTriple R DC ExpertsAllstate & McBride Realty

  Copyright © 2007-2016 Wilson County News. All rights reserved. Web development by Drewa Designs.