ERCOT Issues Electric Advisory
Gonzales, Texas-- January 6, 2014 -- Around 7:15 a.m. this morning, the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) issued an Advisory due to freezing temperatures across the State and the demand on the electric system. GVEC and other electric utility companies throughout the state ask their customers to conserve electricity as much as possible during these extreme temperatures.
Please be aware that if conditions were to worsen, ERCOT may need to require electric utilities to reduce load by creating momentary service interruptions in which circuits are taken out of power and brought back up on a rotating basis.
As a reminder, here are some immediate tips for conserving energy:
• Limit electricity usage to only that consumption that is absolutely necessary. Turn off all unnecessary lights, appliances and electronic equipment.
• Do not use your dishwasher, laundry equipment, hair dryers, coffee makers, pool pump or other home appliances unless absolutely necessary, especially between the hours of 6 to 9 a.m. and 4 to 8 p.m.
• Businesses should minimize the use of electric lighting and electricity-consuming equipment as much as possible.
• Larger consumers of electricity should consider shutting down or reducing nonessential production processes.
• Other conservation tips are available from the Public Utility Commission’s Power to Save Texas website.
Consumers can keep updated on the situation by following GVEC on Facebook or GVEC_Tweets on Twitter.
GVEC is an electric cooperative that serves over 73,000 consumers across 13 Texas counties. The service area spans 3,500 square miles across South Central Texas. The headquarters is located in Gonzales, Texas with four area offices in the cities of Schertz, Seguin, La Vernia and Cuero.
Your Opinions and Comments
Be the first to comment on this story!
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Breaking News Archives
Governor Abbott Announces LIFE Initiative In Response To Planned Parenthood Videos (August 28, 2015)
DPS offers $3,000 reward for fugitive from San Antonio (August 26, 2015)
Officials hope jewelry will offer clues to burned woman's identity (August 26, 2015)
Rainfall totals reported from weekend (August 24, 2015)
18-wheeler crash, rain, limits traffic north of Stockdale (August 20, 2015)
SAPD officer dies in La Vernia (August 20, 2015)
AirLife transports one in morning accident (August 15, 2015)
Gov. Abbott Statement On Capture Of Suspected Capitol Arsonist (August 13, 2015)
Floresville police seek forgery suspect (August 12, 2015)
Nehring surrenders to authorities for livestock theft (August 12, 2015)
Gonzales County deputies arrest Nixon city manager (August 7, 2015)