ERCOT Issues Electric Advisory
Gonzales, Texas-- January 6, 2014 -- Around 7:15 a.m. this morning, the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) issued an Advisory due to freezing temperatures across the State and the demand on the electric system. GVEC and other electric utility companies throughout the state ask their customers to conserve electricity as much as possible during these extreme temperatures.
Please be aware that if conditions were to worsen, ERCOT may need to require electric utilities to reduce load by creating momentary service interruptions in which circuits are taken out of power and brought back up on a rotating basis.
As a reminder, here are some immediate tips for conserving energy:
• Limit electricity usage to only that consumption that is absolutely necessary. Turn off all unnecessary lights, appliances and electronic equipment.
• Do not use your dishwasher, laundry equipment, hair dryers, coffee makers, pool pump or other home appliances unless absolutely necessary, especially between the hours of 6 to 9 a.m. and 4 to 8 p.m.
• Businesses should minimize the use of electric lighting and electricity-consuming equipment as much as possible.
• Larger consumers of electricity should consider shutting down or reducing nonessential production processes.
• Other conservation tips are available from the Public Utility Commission’s Power to Save Texas website.
Consumers can keep updated on the situation by following GVEC on Facebook or GVEC_Tweets on Twitter.
GVEC is an electric cooperative that serves over 73,000 consumers across 13 Texas counties. The service area spans 3,500 square miles across South Central Texas. The headquarters is located in Gonzales, Texas with four area offices in the cities of Schertz, Seguin, La Vernia and Cuero.
Your Opinions and Comments
Be the first to comment on this story!
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Breaking News Archives
Adkins man arrested for wife’s 2013 murder (June 23, 2016)
Afternoon crash injures one, closes Business Loop 181 in Floresville (June 23, 2016)
Floresville police seek alleged credit card abuser (June 23, 2016)
Floresville road work on S.H. 97 through July 4 (June 22, 2016)
Authorities seek information on two ATVs theft (June 21, 2016)
Time Warner gets Floresville-area Internet back in action (June 14, 2016)
No serious injuries in Floresville rollover (June 10, 2016)
Giant Floresville gator is dead (June 9, 2016)
Truck stolen from Best Western (June 9, 2016)
Fuel thief strikes again in Floresville (June 8, 2016)
Local rainfall totals (June 6, 2016)
Saturday Update from NWS: Flood warnings for area rivers (June 3, 2016)
Weather prompts change in location for LVISD graduation ceremony (June 3, 2016)
Crime Stoppers to hold free training June 6-7 (June 2, 2016)
Be smart about flooding (June 1, 2016)
Flash flood watch continues until Friday (June 1, 2016)