ERCOT Issues Electric Advisory
Gonzales, Texas-- January 6, 2014 -- Around 7:15 a.m. this morning, the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) issued an Advisory due to freezing temperatures across the State and the demand on the electric system. GVEC and other electric utility companies throughout the state ask their customers to conserve electricity as much as possible during these extreme temperatures.
Please be aware that if conditions were to worsen, ERCOT may need to require electric utilities to reduce load by creating momentary service interruptions in which circuits are taken out of power and brought back up on a rotating basis.
As a reminder, here are some immediate tips for conserving energy:
• Limit electricity usage to only that consumption that is absolutely necessary. Turn off all unnecessary lights, appliances and electronic equipment.
• Do not use your dishwasher, laundry equipment, hair dryers, coffee makers, pool pump or other home appliances unless absolutely necessary, especially between the hours of 6 to 9 a.m. and 4 to 8 p.m.
• Businesses should minimize the use of electric lighting and electricity-consuming equipment as much as possible.
• Larger consumers of electricity should consider shutting down or reducing nonessential production processes.
• Other conservation tips are available from the Public Utility Commission’s Power to Save Texas website.
Consumers can keep updated on the situation by following GVEC on Facebook or GVEC_Tweets on Twitter.
GVEC is an electric cooperative that serves over 73,000 consumers across 13 Texas counties. The service area spans 3,500 square miles across South Central Texas. The headquarters is located in Gonzales, Texas with four area offices in the cities of Schertz, Seguin, La Vernia and Cuero.
Your Opinions and Comments
Be the first to comment on this story!
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Breaking News Archives
Advisory from the National Weather Service (May 25, 2015)
Governor Abbott Adds 24 Counties To Disaster Declaration, including Wilson (May 25, 2015)
Rain leads to flooding, road closures (May 25, 2015)
Tornado warning issued by National Weather Service (May 25, 2015)
Flash flood warning until 12:15 a.m. (May 23, 2015)
Tornado watch until 3 a.m. (May 23, 2015)
Flash flood watch for all of South Central Texas, May 23-24 (May 22, 2015)
Update: Encana workers secure blown Karnes County gas well (May 21, 2015)
Rainfall report: May 11-17 (May 18, 2015)
Flash flood warning issued May 15, expires at 1:45 p.m. (May 15, 2015)
Union Pacific suspects weather caused Pleasanton derailment (May 15, 2015)
Events rescheduled this weekend (May 14, 2015)
Severe thunderstorms, flooding possible in area (May 14, 2015)
Tornado watch for South Central Texas (May 13, 2015)
Weather Updates; Road closures; Flash flood warning until 5:15 p.m. (May 13, 2015)
Flash flood watch continues May 12 (May 12, 2015)
Officers nab fleeing fugitive (May 12, 2015)
Rainfall reports for May 4-10 (May 11, 2015)
Update: Six suffer injuries in U.S. 87 crash (May 7, 2015)
Cornyn Presses State Department On Clinton Emails (May 6, 2015)
ADL condemns violence at Garland event (May 4, 2015)