ERCOT Issues Electric Advisory
Gonzales, Texas-- January 6, 2014 -- Around 7:15 a.m. this morning, the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) issued an Advisory due to freezing temperatures across the State and the demand on the electric system. GVEC and other electric utility companies throughout the state ask their customers to conserve electricity as much as possible during these extreme temperatures.
Please be aware that if conditions were to worsen, ERCOT may need to require electric utilities to reduce load by creating momentary service interruptions in which circuits are taken out of power and brought back up on a rotating basis.
As a reminder, here are some immediate tips for conserving energy:
• Limit electricity usage to only that consumption that is absolutely necessary. Turn off all unnecessary lights, appliances and electronic equipment.
• Do not use your dishwasher, laundry equipment, hair dryers, coffee makers, pool pump or other home appliances unless absolutely necessary, especially between the hours of 6 to 9 a.m. and 4 to 8 p.m.
• Businesses should minimize the use of electric lighting and electricity-consuming equipment as much as possible.
• Larger consumers of electricity should consider shutting down or reducing nonessential production processes.
• Other conservation tips are available from the Public Utility Commission’s Power to Save Texas website.
Consumers can keep updated on the situation by following GVEC on Facebook or GVEC_Tweets on Twitter.
GVEC is an electric cooperative that serves over 73,000 consumers across 13 Texas counties. The service area spans 3,500 square miles across South Central Texas. The headquarters is located in Gonzales, Texas with four area offices in the cities of Schertz, Seguin, La Vernia and Cuero.
Your Opinions and Comments
Be the first to comment on this story!
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Breaking News Archives
Area rainfall totals (April 25, 2016)
Flash flood watch continues (April 18, 2016)
Meet the Floresville council candidates, ask questions April 21! (April 15, 2016)
Crash impacts Floresville traffic as school day ends (April 13, 2016)
DPS seeks information in victim’s identity, murder case in Refugio County (April 13, 2016)
Hailstorm moves through area (April 13, 2016)
Area rainfall totals (April 12, 2016)
Floresville ISD cancels Wellness Fair, 5K (April 12, 2016)
Pair lead law enforcement on high-speed chase through Wilson County (April 8, 2016)
Enter your wedding photo for chance to stay at the Omni! (April 6, 2016)
Floresville restaurant owner says beware utility payment scam (April 1, 2016)
Planned outage in Falls City goes smoothly (April 1, 2016)