Interesting tidbits about latest NASCAR Hall of Famers
Amanda Vincent is responsible for this content, which is not edited by the Wilson County News or wilsoncountynews.com.
On Wednesday night, the NASCAR Hall of Fame inducted its class of 2014, including Tim Flock, Dale Jarrett, Jack Ingram, Maurice Petty and Glenn “Fireball” Roberts. In honor of these five latest members of the Hall of Fame, here are some tidbits you may or may not have known about the aforementioned men (after reading them, check out our 2014 NASCAR Hall of Fame slideshow -- photos courtesy of Getty Images and ISC Archives):
- Tim Flock, along with brothers Bob and Fonty and sister Ethel, became the only group of four siblings to compete in the same NASCAR race in 1949
- For eight races in 1953, Flock had a co-pilot in his race car -- a monkey named Jocko Flocko
- Flock’s father was a tightrope walker
- Ingram is credited with some 317 wins in NASCAR-sanctioned races
- Ingram is the first driver to be inducted based on accomplishments in NASCAR’s Late Model Sportsman Series or the Busch (now-Nationwide Series)
- Ingram held the record for most Busch Series wins until his total was surpassed by Mark Martin in 1997, who eventually lost the record to Kyle Busch
- Jarrett began the Indianapolis Motor Speedway tradition of kissing the bricks after winning at the track
- Jarrett either raced against or watched, in person, his father Ned (also a NASCAR Hall of Famer) race against most of the other Hall of Fame members
- Jarrett started his racing career the same year as Jeff Gordon (1977). Gordon was 5 years of age. Jarrett was 20.
- Maurice Petty became the fourth member of the Petty family to be inducted into the Hall, joining brother Richard, father Lee and cousin Dale Inman
- Petty overcame polio as a child
- As a teenager, Petty, along with brother Richard, worked on father Lee’s crew
- Roberts included classical music and playing jai alai
- Roberts was suspended, along with the aforementioned Flock and Curtis Turner, for helping try to unionize NASCAR drivers, but he was, eventually, reinstated
- Roberts’ nickname of “Fireball” game from his days of playing American Legion baseball
|‹ Previous Blog Entry
Your Opinions and Comments
Be the first to comment on this story!
You must be logged in to post a comment.
NASCAR News Archives
NASCAR Cup: Ryan Reed to make Sprint Cup debut at Talladega (September 30, 2016)
NASCAR Truck: John Hunter Nemechek loses chase points (September 30, 2016)
NASCAR Cup: Pit crews may be in for change next year (September 29, 2016)
NASCAR Xfinity: Elliott Sadler first winner in first Xfinity chase (September 26, 2016)
NASCAR schedule, weather outlook for New Hampshire, Kentucky (September 23, 2016)
NASCAR: Two crew chiefs fined for lug nut issues after Chicagoland Speedway (September 23, 2016)
NASCAR Cup: NASCAR changes penalty possibilities before Chase (September 15, 2016)
NASCAR Cup: Hendrick Motorsports sets No. 88 driver schedule for rest of ’16 (September 6, 2016)
NASCAR Cup: Dale Jr. out rest of 2016 (September 2, 2016)
NASCAR Xfinity: Elliott Sadler not losing sponsor after all (September 1, 2016)