Texas gives info about Hantavirus
The Texas Department of State Health Services offers precaution information after a Texas Panhandle resident recently developed hantavirus pulmonary syndrome, or HPS.
The person has recovered from the infection. Exposure most likely occurred in a rodent-infested barn when dust was stirred up. This is the first confirmed case of HPS in Texas this year. One case was reported in the state last year.
Hantavirus is carried by certain species of rats and mice. The illness is rare. Infected rodents shed the virus in their urine, droppings, and saliva. The virus can be transmitted to people when infected rat or mouse urine, saliva, droppings, or nesting materials are stirred up, temporarily aerosolizing the virus, which can be breathed in by humans. HPS cases are frequently associated with spring cleaning.
The Department of State Health Services recommends the following precautions:
•Seal openings that may allow rats and mice to enter homes and workplaces.
•Remove brush, woodpiles, trash, and other items that may attract rats and mice.
•Tightly close garbage cans, pet food containers, and other food sources.
•Wear protective gloves to handle dead mice and rats or to clean up nesting areas, urine, or droppings.
•Before cleaning up nests or droppings found inside, open windows and doors to ventilate the area for at least 30 minutes.
•Do not stir up nests by sweeping or vacuuming. Dampen areas before cleanup.
•Use a disinfectant or 1-to-10 bleach-water mixture to clean up dead rodents, nests, urine, and droppings.
Early symptoms of hantavirus infection include fatigue, fever, and muscle aches. These symptoms may be accompanied by headaches, dizziness, chills, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain. Later symptoms include coughing and shortness of breath. If hantavirus is suspected, people should contact their health-care provider immediately.
A total of 39 HPS cases have been confirmed in Texas since 1993, the first year it was reported, and 14 of those cases resulted in death.