Saturday, July 4, 2015
1012 C Street  •  Floresville, TX 78114  •  Phone: 830-216-4519  •  Fax: 830-393-3219  • 

WCN Site Search


Lost & Found


VideoFound 2 year old female Basset Hound at the corner of 360 Shorthorn & 204 Longhorn Rd, Stockdale. Contact Paula at 210-827-9583.

VideoFOUND . Chihuahua mix male. Near SS Water La Vernia. 512-550-1163.
$500 cash reward for the return or information that leads to the return of missing bull, registered polled Hereford with tattoo ID# Z203, distinctive marks on head, yellow tag in right ear, "D" brand on right hip, missing from Hwy. 119 and C.R. 454 intersection. Call Patrick Danysh, 210-827-9331.
More Lost & Found ads ›

Help Wanted

F&W Electrical is now hiring journeyman, backhoe operators, and laborers. Apply at 6880 U.S. Hwy. 181 N., Floresville, Monday-Friday, 8-5. 830-393-0083. EOE.
Be skeptical of ads that say you can make lots of money working from the comfort of your home. If this were true, wouldn’t we all be working at home?
More Help Wanted ads ›

Featured Videos





Video Vault ›
TNMCRE/MAX homeRichardson Chevrolet home
You’ve been granted free access to this subscribers only article.

Section A: General News


Poth ISD considers $15M bond issue


Poth ISD considers $15M bond issue
Larry Stavinoha


E-Mail this Story to a Friend
Print this Story

Wilson County News
June 18, 2014
9,302 views
3 comments

POTH -- The need to make renovations to aging facilities and add additional instructional space to accommodate future growth has officials in the Poth Independent School District (ISD) considering a bond election in 2015. If approved, the tax rate could increase by as much as 25 cents per $100 of taxable value.

At the district’s June 11 board of trustees meeting, Superintendent Scott Caloss prioritized the top needs and their estimated costs, which total $15.5 million:

•Poth Elementary School addition, parking -- $4 million

•Vocational building -- $2 million

•Poth Junior High School science classrooms -- $500,000

•Poth High School gymnasium addition (weight room) -- $1.5 million

•Poth High School, additional parking -- $500,000

•Poth Junior High School, new gymnasium -- $3.5 million

•Poth Junior High School, building renovations -- $3.5 million.

Caloss recommended that the board consider asking voters to approve a $15 million bond issue, for which the funds would be repaid over a period of 20 years. Based on an estimated tax roll of $450 million, this would result in as much as a 25-cent increase to the interest and sinking -- debt-service -- side of the property-tax rate.

Voters in the Poth ISD in May 2013 approved a $3.9 million bond issue to finance additions to Poth High School. This resulted in a 5.66-cent increase in the debt-service portion of the tax rate. The maintenance and operations portion of the rate for the 2014 tax year is $1.04, while taxpayers pay an additional 9.74 cents toward interest and sinking, for a total rate of $1.1374 per $100 of taxable value.

Also related to tax revenue, Larry Stavinoha of Education Service Center, Region 20 gave an hour-long presentation about school funding. Stavinoha said that state funding to Poth ISD has steadily decreased over the past three years, as local funding has increased, due to rising property values. In the 2012-13 school year, the district received almost $4.2 million -- 57 percent of its budget -- from the state, with the remaining 43 percent, approximately $3.2 million, coming from local taxation.

The projection for the 2014-15 school year is that the district’s taxpayers will be responsible for more than $4.8 million -- 71 percent of the budget -- while the remaining 29 percent, just under $2 million, will come from the state. This is because the projected tax roll is expected to reach $484 million, due mostly to a spike in mineral appraisals. (See “Poth ISD considers cuts ahead of possible budget deficit,” May 21.)

In other business, oaths of office were administered to Anthony Cantu, Richie Harris, Les Miller, Laurie Sekula, and Roy Cruz following their victories in the May 10 school board election. When the board reorganized, Sekula was chosen as its secretary, with Wesley West and Wade Harris being reappointed as president and vice president, respectively.

Also in attendance: Business Manager Kim Dziuk and Poth High School Principal Frank Hosek.
 

Your Opinions and Comments

 
T-Bone Pickens  
Poth  
June 19, 2014 2:45pm
 
$5 million total for Athletics. Can't wait to see the return on this investment. Some Boys State Championships and athletic scholarships for our student athletes!!! Now if we could just get some of that fancy turf at Jack ... More ›

 
Sam Eagle  
Muppet Land  
June 18, 2014 11:38am
 
"Voters in the Poth ISD in May 2013 approved a $3.9 million bond issue to finance additions to Poth High School. This resulted in a 5.66-cent increase in the debt-service portion of the tax rate." "Caloss ... More ›

 
Publius Valerius Publicola  
Rome, Tx.  
June 18, 2014 11:31am
 
Well let's hope the people responsible for long term planning in Poth are not teaching the students there. No one knew the funding rates from the State were going to decline until now? Bond issues without end, these guys should ... More ›

Share your comment or opinion on this story!


You must be logged in to post a comment.




Not a subscriber?
Subscriber, but no password?
Forgot password?

Section A: General News Archives


Full article available to Wilson County News subscribers only. Click here to subscribe. Corner Store grand opening is set for July 2 (July 1, 2015)
Full article available to Wilson County News subscribers only. Click here to subscribe. Court Update (July 1, 2015)
Full article available to Wilson County News subscribers only. Click here to subscribe. Crouch Memorial Bull Riding (July 1, 2015)
Full article available to Wilson County News subscribers only. Click here to subscribe. Dan Patrick weighs in on same-sex marriage decision (July 1, 2015)
Full article available to Wilson County News subscribers only. Click here to subscribe. Disabled veteran license plates available for widows (July 1, 2015)
Full article available to Wilson County News subscribers only. Click here to subscribe. Does the EPA control your stock tank? (July 1, 2015)
Full article available to Wilson County News subscribers only. Click here to subscribe. East Central ISD decisions will save taxpayers millions (July 1, 2015)
Full article available to Wilson County News subscribers only. Click here to subscribe. Editorial: Changing the past to fundamentally transform America (July 1, 2015)
Full article available to Wilson County News subscribers only. Click here to subscribe. Editorial: Donald Trump tries to put his brand on GOP (July 1, 2015)
Full article available to Wilson County News subscribers only. Click here to subscribe. Editorial: Hillary and history: Best-known is not the same as best-qualified (July 1, 2015)
Full article available to Wilson County News subscribers only. Click here to subscribe. Event highlights seniors, vets, services July 17 (July 1, 2015)
Full article available to Wilson County News subscribers only. Click here to subscribe. FELPS aims to improve reliability systemwide (July 1, 2015)
Full article available to Wilson County News subscribers only. Click here to subscribe. Floresville ISD adopts $39M budget (July 1, 2015)
Full article available to Wilson County News subscribers only. Click here to subscribe. Floresville keeps city manager, 'extravaganza' (July 1, 2015)
Full article available to Wilson County News subscribers only. Click here to subscribe. Free July training for business owners (July 1, 2015)
Full article available to Wilson County News subscribers only. Click here to subscribe. Guadalupe deputies hunt fugitive after bar fight near Seguin (July 1, 2015)
Full article available to Wilson County News subscribers only. Click here to subscribe. H-E-B recalls burger buns (July 1, 2015)
Full article available to Wilson County News subscribers only. Click here to subscribe. La Vernia approves $26M-plus budget (July 1, 2015)
Full article available to Wilson County News subscribers only. Click here to subscribe. Letter: Frightened aging bones (July 1, 2015)
Full article available to Wilson County News subscribers only. Click here to subscribe. Meeting Watch: Falls City City Council (July 1, 2015)
Full article available to Wilson County News subscribers only. Click here to subscribe. Miles Svoboda earns saddle in chute dogging event (July 1, 2015)
Full article available to Wilson County News subscribers only. Click here to subscribe. New battalion commander recalls Floresville roots (July 1, 2015)
Full article available to Wilson County News subscribers only. Click here to subscribe. Nixon residents respond to shooting with prayer (July 1, 2015)
Full article available to Wilson County News subscribers only. Click here to subscribe. Parkside Homes wins planning and zoning approval (July 1, 2015)
Full article available to Wilson County News subscribers only. Click here to subscribe. Scam email: Pay up or die (July 1, 2015)
Full article available to Wilson County News subscribers only. Click here to subscribe. Skloss retires after four decades with Karnes Electric (July 1, 2015)
Full article available to Wilson County News subscribers only. Click here to subscribe. Tanker, tow truck crash on U.S. 181 (July 1, 2015)
Full article available to Wilson County News subscribers only. Click here to subscribe. Tour vintage aircraft at Stinson Municipal Airport (July 1, 2015)
Full article available to Wilson County News subscribers only. Click here to subscribe. Traps to avoid after graduation (July 1, 2015)