Saturday, December 10, 2016
1012 C Street  •  Floresville, TX 78114  •  Phone: 830-216-4519  •  Fax: 830-393-3219  • 

WCN Site Search

Preview the Paper Preview the Paper

Preview this week's Paper
A limited number of pages are displayed in this preview.
Preview this Week’s Issue ›
Subscribe Today ›

Lost & Found

Videomissing dog, male blue nose pitt-bull contact 830-216-1359 if you have seen him
*Includes FREE photo online!
Found: Red Chihuahua, male, friendly but frightened, need to find his owner, in Floresville. 830-534-6413.
More Lost & Found ads ›

Help Wanted

Gate keeper needed at Braunig Lake. Call 210-635-8289.
General labor hand needed at Whitsett, TX location, must have valid driver license, clean record, and reliable transportation; must be willing to work different shifts and weekends. Email resumes to
More Help Wanted ads ›

Featured Videos

Video Vault ›

South Texas Living

Medicare for travelers

E-Mail this Story to a Friend
Print this Story
Jim Miller
August 5, 2015 | 2,774 views | Post a comment

Dear Savvy Senior,

What are the best Medicare coverage options for retirees who travel a lot?

Almost 65

Dear Almost,

The best Medicare options for retirees who travel extensively depend on your destination. Let’s start with a quick review of the different coverage choices Medicare offers beneficiaries today.

One option is Original Medicare, which has been around since 1966, and covers (Part A) hospital services and (Part B) doctor’s visits and other medical services.

If you choose Original Medicare, you may also want to get a Medicare (Part D) prescription drug plan (if you don’t already have coverage) to cover your medication costs, and a Medicare supplemental (Medigap) policy to help pay for things that aren’t covered by Medicare like copayments, coinsurance, and deductibles.

Or, you could get Medicare Advantage (Part C) plan, which is sold through private insurance companies, that covers everything Original Medicare covers, plus many plans also offer prescription drug coverage and extra services like vision, hearing, and dental care all in one plan.

To help you evaluate your options, the National Council on Aging offers an online tool at, and your State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) provides free Medicare counseling -- call 1-800-677-1116 for contact information.

You can also shop and compare Medicare health and drug plans and Medigap policies at, or call 1-800-633-4227.

Also note that you can always switch to a different plan during the open enrollment period, which is between Oct. 15 and Dec. 7.

U.S. Travel

If you and your husband are planning to travel domestically, Original Medicare provides coverage everywhere in the U.S. and its territories (this includes all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, and American Samoa) as long as the doctor or hospital accepts Medicare.

But, if you have a Medicare Advantage plan, your coverage may be restricted. This is because most Medicare Advantage plans (which are usually HMOs or PPOs) require you to use doctors, hospitals and pharmacies that are in the plan’s network within a service area or geographic region. So if you’re traveling outside that area, you may need to pay a higher fee, or your services may not be covered at all.

Before enrolling in a Medicare Advantage plan, check the benefit details carefully to see what costs and rules apply when traveling outside your service area.

Traveling Abroad

If you’re planning to travel abroad, Original Medicare does not provide coverage outside the U.S. including cruising, except in rare cases, and Medicare drug plans will not cover prescription drugs purchased outside the U.S. either.

But, there are some Medigap policies that do provide limited coverage abroad. Medigap C, D, F, G, M, and N plans will pay for 80 percent of medically necessary emergency care outside the U.S., but only for the first 60 days of the trip, and you have to meet an annual $250 deductible first. There’s also a lifetime maximum benefit of $50,000, so you’d need to cover any costs above that amount.

If you have a Medicare Advantage plan, your coverage outside the U.S. will depend on the plan. Some plans offer emergency care coverage while others don’t. You’ll need to check your plan for details.

If you want additional emergency medical coverage when traveling abroad, try and, which compare policies from major travel-insurance companies. Prices vary considerably, ranging from under $100 to several hundred dollars.

Jim Miller is a contributor to the NBC “Today” show and author of The Savvy Senior. Send your senior questions to: Savvy Senior, P.O. Box 5443, Norman, OK 73070, or visit

Your Opinions and Comments

Be the first to comment on this story!

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Not a subscriber?
Subscriber, but no password?
Forgot password?

South Texas Living Archives