December 28, 2011 10:27am
|Oh Yes, Please Do put an end to this! Just answer the questions that have been asked over and over again over the past 4 to 5 months Mayor, City Council and City Manager!!
Of the three documents released over the past couple of days there are several blatant inconsistencies:
1) The Mayor, in his news release, states that the erroneous entires in the budget were do to needing a software update that has been completed with the assistance of city staff, the former and current auditors.
2) The City Attorney, in documents filed with the District Clerk yesterday, states: "The computer software, as we discussed, is a uniquely difficult issue to bring into control and that may take some time."
3) The auditor states in her report, dated December 20, 2011, also filed with the District Clerk yesterday, "These amounts are indeed incorrectly reported on the Proposed Budget Worksheet. The worksheet was generated through the City's accounting software program, Incode, and it was presumed to have been producing accurate data. At this time it is unclear why these amounts are so divergent from the City's audited financial statements."
Is it, or is it not a software glitch?
Has this software been updated or not?
1) The Mayor, in his news release, states that the 2011-2012 proposed budget was prepared manually prior to the computer generated worksheet and was based on staff analysis, trend analysis and economic projections.
2) The auditor states: "While erroneous amounts were reported on the budget worksheet, it appears that the City did not rely upon them in preparing the 2011-2012 budget."
Where are these manually prepared numbers? All the worksheets, including the one that was voted on and approved on August 25, 2011 as the approved 2011-2012 Budget, include these erroneous amounts.
How do you know that these "erroneous amounts" were not relied upon in the preparation and approval of the 2011-2012 budget? Particularly if these "erroneous amounts" were prominently displayed as "Actual" historical numbers?
It would really be nice if everyone was on the same page!