May 25, 2012 9:38am
|What did the Citizens of Floresville see and learn about the Mayor, City Council, City Manager and Staff at the May 24, 2012 City Council Meeting:
- Approval of minutes from May 10, 2012 Regular City Council Meeting -
The action of the City Council to approve the publication of a notice of intention to issue Certificates of Obligation is NOT what the Mayor presented to the Citizens on his Facebook Page when he stated “The Council approved a renovation of River Park”
- Approval of minutes from May 16, 2012 Special Meeting -
Again we learned that the minutes from the meeting, specifically regarding assignments to the City Manager, differ dramatically from what the Mayor stated during the meeting. The assignments DID NOT INCLUDE ANY QUARTERLY REPORTING REQUIREMENTS.
- The City Attorney clearly showed who he is representing. When Councilman Guerrero made the motion to table this presentation and Councilman Morones seconded it, OUR CITY ATTORNEY immediately stood up and prevented any discussion on this issue and ruled that only a up or down vote could be made. Later in the meeting OUR CITY ATTORNEY did not take similar action when the MAYOR or his puppets (Councilman Gomez and Councilwoman Castillo) were out of order.
- The presentation by Heartland Recreation was informative, entertaining and hopefully educational to the Mayor, Council, City Manager, and Staff (as well as to the Sports Leagues who support their organizations with concession sales). Mr. Spencer clearly stated to the Mayor and Council the need for a PLAN, a BUDGET and PRIORITIES. Go figure . . . . that’s what the Citizens have been asking for all along!
- Consideration and action to apply for funding . . . (waste water, water and other infrastructure) – In is presentation, Mr. Roseberg clearly demonstrated that City Officials take offense to it’s citizens when they ask for information or clarification. Odd . . . I thought that the City Officials work for the citizens? (Maybe the Council and City Staff should take a look at the City Manager’s new Organizational Chart that clearly shows the Citizens at the very top!) None the less, thank you Mr. Rosenberg for clearly stating that the City DOES NOT HAVE A PLAN. That this is the first step; that an ENGINEERING STUDY has yet to be completed, that a rate evaluation has yet to be completed; that a COST HAS YET TO BE DETERMINED; and that A FUNDING SOURCE HAS YET TO BE IDENTIFIED.
- Consideration and Action to set up advertising for a Depository Contract. Thank you City Manager for explaining what is being done and more importantly why it is being done. I wish, however, that instead of taking offence to questions that this type of explanation be provided on a regular basis. Doing so would eliminate the suspicion that develops based upon the publication of ambiguous agenda items.
- Consideration and Action - Appointment to FEDC – SHAME … SHAME … SHAME . . . Johnny R. Gomez demonstrated that he is truly the weasel that people see him as. To make the motion to remove Monica Flores from the FEDC Board and appoint Freddie Amarro without explanation, justification or cause. An action OBVIOUSLY taken because Monica pointed out that the Mayor was lying at the City Council Meeting on April 26th when he stated that the FEDC HAD IN FACT PAID THE ALAMO COMMUNITY COLLEGE. Further more the City Manager also demonstrated that he is equal to the Mayor in his ability to lie! When the City Manager stated that he ALWAYS answers requests of the Council, Board Members and Citizens he was corrected when I stated that he has yet to answer a number of requests that I have sent . . . He responded that I had already received MY FAIR SHARE of responses and Freedom of Information Requests. Maybe the City Attorney needs to advise him of the penalties for noncompliance with the Freedom of Information Act.
Although it was requested to be recognized under Citizens Input at the beginning of the meeting to present a copy of the petition that was filed with the City Secretary earlier that day to the City Council the Mayor did not recognize me. However, before the adjournment of the of the meeting, due to the encouragement of Councilman Guererro the Mayor was force recognize me. Once recognize the petition was presented and it was requested that the minutes reflect that fact.
Regarding petition - - At the next regular City Council Meeting the agenda should reflect the order of an election for this issue and/or suspension of the authorization of the Certificates of Obligation . . . Should this not happen . . . we may need to proceed to the District Court to seek a restraining order. We will wait and see. . .
The City Manager announced that a Special City Council Meeting will be scheduled for May 31st (Time TBD) where ALL financial information would be presented by the Auditor and Comptroller. This should be interesting!!
More to Follow