June 26, 2012 8:14am
|pro-a-gan-da (noun) Information, esp. of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view.
The mayor stated on his Facebook page this morning that “Propaganda is a truly terrible weapon in the hands of an expert . . . In fact, no property taxes will be raised. The waste water plant will be expanded in 2014, and plans are currently under way. The false allegations cost the City over 120,000.00. We respect the signers of the petition, and we will look for alternative financing as suggested by the 5 per cent of the voters. The youth fields will accomodate the growing population with the amount we have budgeted thru sales tax. .”
Let’s look at your statements Danny:
“In fact, no property taxes will be raised.”
1. So as property values have increased the City will be lowering it’s tax rate so that no property taxes are raised?
2. If there are going to be no increases in property taxes how then will the city pay for the multi-million dollar waste-water plant expansion, city wide water model and other immediate infrastructure needs that were identified by M&S Engineering?
“The waste water plant will be expanded in 2014, and plans are currently under way.”
1. You state that we have been planning the renovations to our Little League fields for over 6 years and now, on the heels of an engineering study, our waste-water plant suddenly needs expansion.
2. How are you (oh you don’t pay property tax in Floresville), we going to pay for this multi-million dollar project? A community development grant? A HUD grant? A loan? The answer is you don’t know! Very much like your sports complex there is no plan, yet.
“The false allegations cost the City over 120,000.00.”
1. Really, show me the bills!
2. No, based upon what the City’s Comptroller stated in a City Council meeting the administration is about $120,000.00 over budget in Legal and professional fees. And based upon the comments in the City’s audit a large amount of this is due to paying accountants and auditors to fix the City’s books and accounting due to a “Fundamental Misunderstanding of Governmental Accounting.”
“We respect the signers of the petition, and we will look for alternative financing as suggested by the 5 per cent of the voters.”
1. Read the Petition and get some remedial math training.
2. First of all, the petition is not a directive to seek alternative funding sources. The petition clearly calls for a plan to be presented and for the plan to be voted on by the voters. By seeking alternative funding sources you are attempting to bypass the electorate.
3. Secondly, the petition was signed by nearly 10% of the registered voters of the City of Floresville. These signatures were obtained in one week.
“The youth field will accommodate the growing population with the amount we have budgeted thru sales tax..”
1. Budgeted? Where ? It is not in the current budget!
2. The youth fields? Are these baseball, softball, t-ball, soccer, or football fields? How many are there? Where are they going to be located? Who is going to maintain them? Is the maintenance cost in the budget too?
Mr. Mayor, I remind you that asking questions of our elected officials, participating in local government and more importantly insuring that our tax dollars are spent in an appropriate and accountable manner is a right given to us by the Constitutions of this great County and our great State. Given that . . . compare your comments to the facts and to the definition of propaganda.